Author Topic: Perhaps a vessel used to wash clothes in 1868 ?  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Perhaps a vessel used to wash clothes in 1868 ?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 10 December 23 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks,I was smacked rarely , and never by the kind people with whom I lived as an evacuee for those years, Mum occasionally and Dad very occasionally but my sister was handy !
She had not lived with nice people after we left family and were split up, I was very lucky and  still go back to visit she never will.
Mind you she had been spoilt at home and did not like being second fiddle to the little girl of that family,whereas I was with another family and their only daughter was nine years older than me so I had three mothers ,one in Manchester who came on visits occasionally ,the Lady if the house my “ auntie” and her daughter nine years older than me .
I was lucky.
Viktoria.

Offline oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 10 December 23 10:23 GMT (UK) »
I’m sure I have seen these for sale for a pretty penny in antique/reclamation yards.
A good sized zinc barrel with a ridged inside now being repurposed for trendy garden planters !

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 10 December 23 11:12 GMT (UK) »
If a pancheon was used for washing did it become known as a dollytub/dolly tub in later years to be used in conjunction with a dolly peg?

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 10 December 23 14:43 GMT (UK) »
If a pancheon was used for washing did it become known as a dollytub/dolly tub in later years to be used in conjunction with a dolly peg?

Large corrugated metal Dolly Tubs were used for laundering clothes.   My mother used to fill hers with hot water , then mix in some soap suds, then  add the whites.  The laundry was swished around using a "dolly Stick" which consisted of a long pole with three wooden legs at the bottom and two wooden handles at the top.  After the laundry was suitably swished around my mother then repeatedly used the "posser", this was a stick with a large upturned metal cup shape at one end. this cup shape had holes in it so that when it was forced down in the water the holes would allow part of the pressure force to dissipate.

the wringing wet items would be offered to a large "mangle" which consisted of two heavy rubber rollers that squeezed excess water from the laundry.  Once the soapy water had been squeezed from the laundry it would be rinsed with clean water in the kitchen sink   In those days there was no such thing as a Flatley Drier, or a spin drier, or tumble drier.  All wet laundry were either hung on a washing line outside, or hung on a clothes horse in front of a coal fire.

My mother's washing line was strung between a hook on the back garden wooden fence and a heavy post near our back door.  One Monday the post was missing - it had been taken to add to somebody's Guy Fawkes bonfire.

The clothes horse had more than one use, it was also used as a tent with a large curtain slung over it, which my brother and I used to sleep out under the stars on warm summer nights.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 10 December 23 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Hmmmmm??

Malky

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 10 December 23 15:51 GMT (UK) »
pumistone = surely every household has a piece?
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 10 December 23 15:57 GMT (UK) »

But pumice stone was used on skin, not clothes  :)
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 10 December 23 21:33 GMT (UK) »

But pumice stone was used on skin, not clothes  :)

When people had baths in their kitchen, then it's possible that a piece of pumice stone could be found amongst the pots and pans?

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 10 December 23 22:16 GMT (UK) »
I didn't think of that, Rena.  I remember that my grandparents had a bath in the kitchen!!!!

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY