Author Topic: Annie Owen from Welsh family  (Read 562 times)

Offline collwyn ap tangno

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Annie Owen from Welsh family
« on: Thursday 07 December 23 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi, hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction.

I’ve been searching for a family from Caernarvonshire in Wales. I’ve found that one of the family members was born in Belfast. Annie Owen, she’s in the 1891 England and Wales Census living in Holyhead in Anglesey. Born in Belfast 1870. She’s buried in Clynnog Fawr (st Beuno) cemetery so I know her full name is Annie Elizabeth Owen, she died in 1955 in Colwyn Bay.  Her mother was Catherine Owen ( nee Jones) born around 1842 died 1891.  She was born in Clynnog Fawr. Annie also had a sister: Margaret Ellen Owen 1868-1925.  She’s in the same cemetery, and also lived in Colwyn Bay. I think I’ve found her in
1891 census in a teacher training collage in Swansea.

I understand that  census records are missing for Ireland but is there any way of finding the history of this family whilst they were in Belfast? My best guess is that they were there between 1860 and 1891.

Thanks

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Annie Owen from Welsh family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 December 23 05:23 GMT (UK) »
Birth details
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1870/03364/2233532.pdf

Her father - Robert Owen, Brick Maker
Her mother - Catherine , formerly Jones
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 December 23 05:42 GMT (UK) »
Here is Ann Eliza Owen, 11 yrs, living with her Jones grandparents in 1881.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2WS-FRXR

This may be Catherine - a widow and nurse
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2WS-22F7

I haven’t yet found Margaret though - nor a birth for her.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 December 23 06:02 GMT (UK) »

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 December 23 07:43 GMT (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 December 23 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, that’s great, I had previously assumed that the grandchild being born in Belfast at the grandparents home was a mistake! The motivation to finding this family is to find where my great great great grandfather was from. He was a william jones, possibly the grandfather you found. If he’s the correct one, he had a son, Robert who would’ve changed surname to williams on his marriage in 1879( a patronymic practice in Wales). Robert disappears from the census record in 1861, where he would’ve been a 8 or 9 year old, and I haven’t been able to find a birth record for him either.

If this is the correct family for Robert, the reason he’s missing from the 1861 record could be that he’s with his sister, catherine, in Ireland. It’s a leap of faith but it would explain a lot!

Thanks again

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 December 23 08:40 GMT (UK) »
From the 'Belfast And Province Of Ulster Directory 1870' on the website of the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland:

Owens, Robt., Sydenham Brickworks Strandtown

https://streetdirectories.proni.gov.uk/

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 December 23 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Have you found the marriage for Robert Owen and Catherine Jones?
There is one here on Free BMD.
1863 March quarter 11b pg 664, Carnarvon
Robert Owen and Catherine Jones are on the same page.

If this were the case it is unlikely that Catherine would be in Ireland in 1861.

Looking at censuses, there are other children in the household of William and Ellinor/Ellen who are described as children or grandchildren - Grace and Methusalem.
It is difficult to know if they are the right families too because William’s occupation changes.
I think this is the 1851 census for that family where Catherine is 9 yrs and Grace is 1 yr.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGVK-TRL

Do you think this is your family?
Where do you have William in 1861?

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 December 23 14:10 GMT (UK) »
thanks for the replies,

This William Jones is in every census in the village including 1861.  If it’s the correct family I’d expect to find Robert with them in 1861, but he’s not. He appears for the first time in 1871 working on a farm in the adjoining parish.

The william jones comes from Robert Williams’ marriage record in 1879 at Llanaelhaearn (spelt Llanaelhaiarn then) church which states that his father is a shoemaker.

William Jones and Robert williams gets full marks in the north wales genealogy bingo so I’m forced to go down the strongest candidates route and eliminate them in some way.  I would’ve eliminated this family already but my uncle stated in a family tree he created 30 years ago that this was his father. My uncle passed away soon after so I can’t ask and his paperwork didn’t have any clues.

This William Jones is probably the wrong one but in the absence of a stronger candidate I’m still looking for clues.

Thanks again