Author Topic: Baptism 1565  (Read 206 times)

Offline AllieBee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptism 1565
« on: Thursday 07 December 23 10:12 GMT (UK) »
The sister of the gentleman in my last post here:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=878566.0

Again the text itself is easily read:

1565 Marie Mynne ye daughter of Henrie Minne gent. was baptised

But the date?

The full record is viewable at Ancestry here:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/sharing/8192500?mark=7b22746f6b656e223a224a6c566c577a62542b647751416d2b36486d6b44355468502b7936744f3131716d5749354863736744724d3d222c22746f6b656e5f76657273696f6e223a225632227d

And at Findmypast here:

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBPRS%2FNORFOLK%2FPD_683-1%2F00022&parentid=GBPRS%2FNORFOLK%2FBAP%2F003971516

Thank you so much for all of your wonderful help so far!  :)

Offline AllieBee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism 1565
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 December 23 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to include the snippet in my original post  :)

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 December 23 02:52 GMT (UK) »
It's a tricky one, as to both day and month.

Regarding the day, I would say xx for twenty.

The question is whether the fainter tail to the right constitutes another x, as the Ancestry transcriber appears to have concluded.

I'd say no, as the strongest part of the x is always the top, and this putative third x has next to nothing at the top.  I think it's soak-through from elsewhere.

For contrast, see the date for a child named William, the second baptised in 1566.  His day is definitely xxx.

Regarding the month, May is perhaps more probable.  I'm not sure anyone could be certain about this month or the one for Henrye Hallyday above

Offline AllieBee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 December 23 13:55 GMT (UK) »
It's a tricky one, as to both day and month.

Regarding the day, I would say xx for twenty.

I completely agree with you that the day is xx for twenty.

As for the month, Ancestry, too, has it as May. Looking at it, could it be Apr? That was my first guess looking at it, but then I became unsure. And came here  :)

I can sort of see May, too. Henrye Hallyday, I think, may have been baptised in Jan. It sort of fits with him being the last to be baptised in the last year (by the old counting) and Mary Mynne being first to be baptised in the new year (by the old counting).

And completely agree that it is extremely tricky and impossible to say with certainty.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 December 23 14:50 GMT (UK) »

Henrye Hallyday, I think, may have been baptised in Jan. It sort of fits with him being the last to be baptised in the last year (by the old counting) and Mary Mynne being first to be baptised in the new year (by the old counting).

I don't think Henrye Hallyday is January.  Compare his month to the capital J in the month for ffrancys Spurne?, who is the last record of 1565.

The top two on this page are both 2 February (with the second being less clear than the first).

Given that, I think Henrye is most likely to be 6 March.  The new year (Old Style) begins on 25 March.

I did consider April for Mynne, and don't rule it out now.

There's an example of how our writer might write April on the facing page (which is probably Ap(ri)ll(is)), in the first record for 1572, followed by one for Maij (which = May).

Offline AllieBee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 December 23 13:35 GMT (UK) »

Henrye Hallyday, I think, may have been baptised in Jan. It sort of fits with him being the last to be baptised in the last year (by the old counting) and Mary Mynne being first to be baptised in the new year (by the old counting).

I don't think Henrye Hallyday is January.  Compare his month to the capital J in the month for ffrancys Spurne?, who is the last record of 1565.

The top two on this page are both 2 February (with the second being less clear than the first).

Given that, I think Henrye is most likely to be 6 March.  The new year (Old Style) begins on 25 March.

I did consider April for Mynne, and don't rule it out now.

There's an example of how our writer might write April on the facing page (which is probably Ap(ri)ll(is)), in the first record for 1572, followed by one for Maij (which = May).

Ooh, thank you so much! Excellent catch about the the capital J in the month for ffrancys Spurne?, who is the last record of 1565, being different. I quite agree with you that it is not January now.

I agree with you about the rest, as well. The top two on this page which are both 2 February I had down as October. *headdesk*

Brilliant finds with April (Ap(ri)ll(is)) and Maij on the facing page. Unfortunately I don't think whatever month Mary Mynne was baptised in looks like either *g*

Though in all probability it almost certainly must be either April or May ...

This looks to be a mystery for the ages! I wonder if it had been possible to consult our writer if he today had been able to tell himself ...  ;D