Author Topic: Query - Is there a South Australia Marriage Index?  (Read 342 times)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Query - Is there a South Australia Marriage Index?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 December 23 08:36 GMT (UK) »
If the first wife you mention is Ruth Elizabeth (nee STONEMAN), she still says she is married on the 1881, 1891, 1901 (Warblington) and 1911 Channel Islands census. I suspect as softly softly implies, James William KENDALL and Mary did not actually marry.  :-\

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 December 23 10:26 GMT (UK) »
I agree :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 December 23 11:06 GMT (UK) »
There do not appear to be any marriages in any of the 7 states of Australia that fit the bill. Her death is a bit of a mystery as well unless she died with a different surname

SS

Offline KhStevens

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 December 23 20:10 GMT (UK) »
So sorry to all who have answered this post, I have been offline for awhile and then on holiday.  I have  only just seen all of these responses (since my response to softly softly on 7th December).  There are some very interesting things that have been dug up about my GG-Grandfather that I have not previously seen.  Thank you for all of this!  I know that his first wife (or only wife) returned to the Channel Islands before 1881 with their children and that she stated she was Married on all census records through 1911 and that JW Kendall and Mary were in the UK before 1901 census.  I also believe that they arrived in the UK in 1897.  It makes a great deal of sense that he and Mary didn't marry given her age when they 'hooked up', which was evident on the 1901 and 1911 census. She appears to have died 11 years after JW in Bedford. Her death confirmed her age.  I have ordered the Death Cert but I doubt there will be any new information gleaned from it.
Many thanks to all of you who have answered this query!