Author Topic: Any Ideas on date and make of car please!  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Any Ideas on date and make of car please!
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 07 December 23 16:57 GMT (UK) »
The location might be Leeds city centre. There was a Brunswick Hotel on Vicar Lane - it's more or less dead centre on this map from 1891:

https://maps.nls.uk/view/229947264

And here's a picture:

https://www.leodis.net/viewimage/94266

Morley might work too - here are a map and picture:

https://maps.nls.uk/view/237469144 - towards the right on Brunswick Street (curly, goes left to right)

https://www.leodis.net/viewimage/107674

In a modern street view it's a red brick building with grey paintwork, but note the entry down the side with stone setts, as in the photo. (Sorry - when I copy a link from Google street view it's just coming up as a map, so there doesn't seem much point.)

ADDED:
Another photo - https://www.leodis.net/viewimage/117773

Great photo of The Brunswick Arthur, thanks for taking the time.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 07 December 23 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Changing my mind again - there are adverts in the Leeds Mercury around 1911-12 (maybe more) for a firm operating taxi cabs from Brunswick Garage, Camp Road, Leeds. And a report in the 29 Oct 1912 edition (p.3) of a pair of crooks trying to sell stolen jewellery to the landlord of the Brunswick Hotel, Camp Road.

More to follow if I find it.

Great stuff Arthur....I really appreciate your help.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 08 December 23 14:26 GMT (UK) »
OK, here's a bit more on the Brunswick Hotel in Camp Road, Leeds.

In the 1911 census the landlord is a Herbert Hollings - his own writing is virtually indecipherable, and this is taken from the cover page. The address on the cover is 24 Brunswick Terrace, Camp Road, but (as far as I can make out) on the form he gives his address as Brunswick Hotel.

I've now found this on a Leeds street map - in the middle here:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=19.3&lat=53.80271&lon=-1.54130&layers=117746211&b=9

So if the photo was taken here, I suspect the garage would have been round the back on Jacob Street. Unfortunately the Leodis site doesn't seem to have any pictures of Jacob Street that would help.

It does have a number of pictures of Brunswick Terrace, but I couldn't see one with the hotel. The best I could do was this one at the corner with Camp Road, and I think the hotel would have been just off to the left:

https://www.leodis.net/viewimage/75944
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 09 December 23 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Looking at old newspaper mentions:
There was a Brunswick garage, Bridge Street, Bridlington, around the corner from a Brunswick hotel.
There was a Brunswick garage in Cross Belgrave Street Leeds - don't know about proximity to a Brunmswick hotel.
Brunswick garage also in Siddals' Road, Derby.
Brunswick garage in Camp Road. Leeds, also near a Brunswick Hotel

Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 09 December 23 10:54 GMT (UK) »
OK, here's a bit more on the Brunswick Hotel in Camp Road, Leeds.

In the 1911 census the landlord is a Herbert Hollings - his own writing is virtually indecipherable, and this is taken from the cover page. The address on the cover is 24 Brunswick Terrace, Camp Road, but (as far as I can make out) on the form he gives his address as Brunswick Hotel.

I've now found this on a Leeds street map - in the middle here:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=19.3&lat=53.80271&lon=-1.54130&layers=117746211&b=9

So if the photo was taken here, I suspect the garage would have been round the back on Jacob Street. Unfortunately the Leodis site doesn't seem to have any pictures of Jacob Street that would help.

It does have a number of pictures of Brunswick Terrace, but I couldn't see one with the hotel. The best I could do was this one at the corner with Camp Road, and I think the hotel would have been just off to the left:

https://www.leodis.net/viewimage/75944

Thanks for your interest and your input Arthur, I appreciate you taking the time to look.
Carol

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 09 December 23 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Looking at old newspaper mentions:
There was a Brunswick garage, Bridge Street, Bridlington, around the corner from a Brunswick hotel.

It looks like you have solved it Dublin, The postcard was bought in Hull on the East Yorkshire coast so Bridlington fits.  :)

Thank you for that, well done.
Carol

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 09 December 23 11:49 GMT (UK) »
It looks like you have solved it Dublin, The postcard was bought in Hull on the East Yorkshire coast so Bridlington fits.  :)

I can't deny that Bridlington is a possibility, but remember that the car has a Leeds registration plate, and the blackened brickwork might fit Leeds better than Bridlington. And people do/did go from Leeds to Hull and vice versa, even if rather reluctantly.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 09 December 23 12:51 GMT (UK) »
This has  been really interesting.  LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 09 December 23 13:10 GMT (UK) »

I can't deny that Bridlington is a possibility, but remember that the car has a Leeds registration plate, and the blackened brickwork might fit Leeds better than Bridlington. And people do/did go from Leeds to Hull and vice versa, even if rather reluctantly.

Thanks for that Arthur, you make a valid point, I will keep an open mind.
Carol