Author Topic: Any Ideas on date and make of car please!  (Read 1089 times)

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
Re: Any Ideas on date and make of car please!
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 09 December 23 13:29 GMT (UK) »
I thought I might join in and take a look at Bridlington.  :)

Shop to let in Bridge Street, see P.3 (map):

https://www.heaneymicklethwaite.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/16-Bridge-Street-Bridlington-18.8.16.pdf

Street view of Bridge Street, with Brunswick Hotel (side?) door (main entrance appears to be on Manor Street) and what is marked as "garage" on the map in the previous link:

Street view of Manor Street, with hotel and archway:

Closer view of archway:

My brain is probably seeing too much similarity in the curve of the paving stones.  ::) Wishful thinking?! (I realise the stones themselves are different, but it could be that the old design was retained...)

There are apparently businesses in the yard beyond the archway, so there could - theoretically - have been a (repair) garage in there.
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 09 December 23 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Those are great images Karen and look very much like we are in the right area  :)
Thanks so much for coming to the party  ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 09 December 23 14:37 GMT (UK) »
 ;D  ;D  ;D

I didn't realise the pictures were going to be so huge!  ::)

I felt I had to join in, seeing as I live about 2.5km from the "original" Brunswick (Braunschweig), in N. Germany...  8)

It's a shame there is not more to go on in the original photo. And Arthurk raised a lot of good points re: other towns. But who knows... Maybe we will solve the mystery once and for all one day...  :)
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline vintman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 05 February 24 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Bit late on this one but can advise that the car registration U-1468 was issued by the County Borough Council of Leeds in the latter part of 1910. The car shown was manufactured by one of the earliest and most prestigious manufacturers of the day, Napier, who made their first car in 1899. Their vehicles were mostly very large and exotic, racers and record breakers. At the other end of their production programme, they also manufactured a vehicle that became very popular as a Taxi in London and elsewhere. From 1908 to 1911 they made over 700 15HP Landaulettes available with either 1.3L 2 Cylinder or 2.7L 4 Cylinder engine. Many were exported.  During World War One they supplied over 2,000 trucks and ambulances to the war effort. So this is a cca 1910 Napier 15HP Landaulette.

Have also slightly enhanced the photo.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much Vintman for your very interesting and informative reply and for taking the time to respond.
I love this postcard,
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU