Author Topic: Sending messages through Gmail  (Read 542 times)

Offline Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
Sending messages through Gmail
« on: Thursday 07 December 23 15:01 GMT (UK) »
For the last few days I seem to be receiving emails via Gmail OK but messages sent are being bounced. Of course I only find out they have not got through after a day or so. Have resorted to CCing myself to find out if the messages are not getting out and even reverting to BT to send messages.
GLS UK.

Offline Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
Re: Sending messages through Gmail
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 December 23 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Well it looks like it’s just something wrong with me then.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 December 23 14:00 GMT (UK) »
I presume that by "messages" you mean emails?

Bounced emails usually have something attached that explains the error?
It might be in technical language, but it would help if we could see the error message.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 December 23 14:21 GMT (UK) »
It might be something to do with the recipients. Try sending a message to yourself.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 December 23 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Who are you sending the emails to? Is it just one person, or is this happening with lots of different accounts?

If it's just one person, have they accidentally blocked you?
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 December 23 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies. I believed that I was failing to get emails through to a Birdwatching Club, the local VW dealer and the local Hospital.
I view of your comments I have checked my delivery delayed and delivery failed notices and they are all from the Birdwatching Club.
On Friday I had a call from the Hospital responding to an email which had got through and it looks like the earlier ones went into their Junk folder for some reason so that may have been the problem there.
The one to the VW dealer was to tell them they had overcharged me so they may have received it and decided to ignore it. I guess they do not want my business anymore - for the sake of a few pounds.

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 December 23 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Are you accessing your Gmail account using a web browser or an email client such as Outlook or on an app on your phone or tablet?

Whenever encountering a problem with an email account sending or receiving, the first step is to try accessing the account with a web browser, preferably one that doesn’t have extensions or add-ons installed.

And make sure to turn off your virtual private network if you’re using one. (Your VPN may be running your connection through an IP address that is blocked by your mail server. That often happens if that IP address has been identified as a source of spam.)

I have in the past had to re-enter the password for my outgoing server. Have you checked in settings for the email account?
Clarkson, Tolladay, Prevost, Killick, Hicks

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 December 23 19:29 GMT (UK) »
It did occur to me that maybe, for some reason, your account has been marked as a spam account and you are being sent into people's spam folders.

This article explains some of the stuff behind that. I'm afraid it's not something I understand much about.
https://postmarkapp.com/blog/why-are-my-emails-going-to-spam

The other thing I would possibly consider, is getting rid of any email signatures or images that you might be sending with your emails. Sometimes they don't like that.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 December 23 21:03 GMT (UK) »
I have a hotmail/outlook account and have had difficulties in the past with receiving gmail. I had to record the senders as ‘safe’ and then it was ok.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk