Author Topic: Inisboffin Island - Thomas Scahill/Ann Cannon - help me please with any research  (Read 232 times)

Offline hipster01cg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi

I'm researching my 3rd great grandfather Thomas Scahill and 3rd great grandmother Ann Cannon.

Got the 1921 census of her daughter Annie Scahill (married John Grady) and it's noted her birth place is County Mayo Boffin Island. Because Mayo and Galway are beside each other, I'm understanding that this is Inishboffin Island. I looked at the Griffith's Valuation and the only Scahill seems to be Thomas Schahell. Additionally, Ann Cannon in many of her children's birth, death, marriage certificates has a variation of surnames. Cannon, Cancanning, Concannon. Also there are different occupations that Thomas had; farmer, labourer, fisherman. He died before 1874 because one of his daughters marriage cert in 1874 says he's deceased. In our family, my great aunt says that rumours were he sailed to America but I found another relative on ancestry who said he drowned in Galway bay. That would fit the fisherman occupation. When using Griffith's refs with the maps it seems that his plot is at the coast/beach near where the Galley Kitchen is now so that would also fit the occupation of fisherman. On the grid it is Knock gridref 7. This is as far as I've got, I don't know if he was from Boffin himself.

With Ann, her death certificate states John Cannon as her father who is a tailor but in her second marriage cert she lists him as Michael Cannon tailor. Could they have been John Michael Cannon or did she just not know who her father was. In Griffith's there are  a couple of people that could be her father, John concannon, Michael Cunnane. Michael Cunnane gridref Knock 11. So not far from the area were the Schahell rented. I suppose the brick wall is the fact I don't have confirmation of who the father and mother is of either of them. And I've been trying to get a book written by an islander about the island and families but no luck in finding a copy. Because he's the only name with Scahill I'm wondering if he was actually born on the island and might have been born on the mainland. Some of the old families still live there so there's a possibility I may have relatives there. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Inisboffin Island - Thomas Scahill/Ann Cannon - help me please with any research
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 December 23 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat
Unfortunately you haven’t given us any idea of dates, so it’s hard to know if we can help or not.
When and where was Thomas and Ann’s eldest child born? Have you got a marriage for Thomas and Ann?

Birth years of the children gives an idea of the age of the parents.
Marriages usually take place in the bride’s parish.
Griffith’s Valuation only lists the lease holder, which may not have been Thomas at that stage, one of his parents could still be alive, he may have moved into his wife’s home place so one of her parents is listed, he may be living with an older brother and so on.
Parish records may not survive for the dates you need.

Names and dates will give people an idea where and what to search or even if there is any point in even trying.

Offline hipster01cg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Inisboffin Island - Thomas Scahill/Ann Cannon - help me please with any research
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 December 23 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thomas Scahill birth?? (Potential hit 26/01/1830 Aughagower Mayo) - death bfr 1874.
Ann Cannon b1835 (death certificate) - 1899

Kids
Mary Scahill 1854-1926
Austin 1857-1903
John 1858-1924
Kate Scahil 1859
Annie 1861-1950
Thomas 1865-1887

All born in Ireland though Annie census puts her born in Mayo Boffin Island and Mary census says county mayo.

Haven't found a marriage yet probably when they first had their child.

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 December 23 20:36 GMT (UK) »

With Ann, her death certificate states John Cannon as her father who is a tailor but in her second marriage cert she lists him as Michael Cannon tailor. Could they have been John Michael Cannon or did she just not know who her father was.

Mistakes on death certificates are common. Often the informant’s information may be shaky. No documentation was required to prove any of the information and it was normally taken at face value.

With the 2nd marriage, Ann gave the information herself, so that makes it more likely to be correct (unless she had something to conceal). Obviously the information on a death certificate is not first hand. So where there’s a discrepancy between a death certificate and a marriage certificate, in most cases you would expect the marriage certificate to be more reliable.

Elwyn

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 December 23 20:56 GMT (UK) »
A very warm welcome to Rootschat.
Dublin Weekly Nation, 24 May 1862

Offline hipster01cg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 January 24 02:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for this.
Is there any other rocks I can overturn?