Author Topic: HELP! William (Taylor) Smith, born 6 Feb 1854 in Kent - can't find him!  (Read 592 times)

Offline Kate-Birchtree

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HELP! William (Taylor) Smith, born 6 Feb 1854 in Kent - can't find him!
« on: Friday 08 December 23 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

I've hit an incredibly frustrating stumbling block, and I'm hoping somebody out there might already have a missing piece of the puzzle (or have an idea about how to find it!)

My great-great grandfather, William Taylor Smith, was (according to Australian records) born in Kent on 6 Feb 1854.

It's uncertain if his name was William with surname Taylor-Smith, or William with middle name Taylor and surname Smith, though the latter seems to be the most likely. (His wife, children and grandchildren had the surname Smith, though one changed it by deed poll to Taylor-Smith as an adult). I do wonder if he might have been born William Smith but added middle name Taylor retrospectively (e.g. late mother's surname).

His father's name was Robert Smith (mother unknown).

His death certificate shows he was born in Kent (which could also encompass somewhere now considered to be greater London?)

An Australian newspaper article from later in his life mentions that he was "late of Newcastle upon Tyne", suggesting that he likely moved there sometime between 1854 and 1863.

He almost certainly emigrated to South Australia (aboard the Orient) in 1863, as a 9-year-old. The original passenger lists for that ship no longer exist, so his arrival is only known from newspaper lists and anecdotal sources when he was alive. There is no clear indication that he emigrated with a parent, and it's possible (though unconfirmed) that he was accompanied by a Mrs Percy/Perry. His future parents-in-law were also on the same ship (Stephen Stickels/Stickells/Stickles and Sarah Noble Maple). They were from Ruckinge.

I've turned my brain inside out searching every obscure variant of names and data combinations across Ancestry, FindMyPast, FreeReg and GRO. I've chased many family leads that have proven to be dead ends.

If I could find a way to search for Williams by specific date of birth (assuming the source of this info is accurate!) then that would help narrow things down somewhat (e.g. on GRO).

Does anybody happen to have this person in their tree, or can anybody help with some advice to untangle this mystery? Thanks in advance!
Adair, Ager, Anderson, Angel, Ayles, Badenoch, Bampton, Bannister, Bedell/Beadle/Beadel, Beresford, Bird, Blaesing, Brown, Butterworth, Clements, Eaton, Elston, Finn, Frith, Green, Groom, Hales, Hance, Heudebourck, Hollis, Maple, Menzel, Nancarrow, Noble, Oakley, Peed, Porter, Prior, Roberts, Sands, Scarlet(t), Sharples, Smith, Stickles/Stickells, Stokes, Sur(r)idge, Thurston, Tiver, Tulloch, Wade, Weeden, Wood, Young

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HELP! William (Taylor) Smith, born 6 Feb 1854 in Kent - can't find him!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 December 23 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Information on death certificates often provide the least accurate information about an individual.

What information do you see about his birth place on his marriage record, and on the birth records for his children?

This newspaper item regarding his wedding aniversary has him from Newcastle.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/90909322?searchTerm=“Stickells%20taylor%20smith”
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 December 23 10:45 GMT (UK) »
You could look for a baptism record and hope the birth date was recorded.

Or look for a Robert Smith/Taylor marriage pre 1853.

There are William Smith father Robert baptisms in Kent/London c1853/4. 

Have you tried getting any birth certificates?  Appreciate it's the worst name to pick from.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 December 23 11:04 GMT (UK) »

"My great-great grandfather, William Taylor Smith, was (according to Australian records) born in Kent on 6 Feb 1854."

Can you identify this record.  What is it.

What documentation do you have for BDM events in the life of the people you are researching.

Offline Kate-Birchtree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 December 23 11:24 GMT (UK) »

Can you identify this record.  What is it.

What documentation do you have for BDM events in the life of the people you are researching.

This information came from the Biographical Index of South Australians. So far, it's the only tangible indication of where/when he was born, though it appears those details were acquired from family information, which means that there is of course no certainty!

I have sighted William's original marriage and death certificates (on microfiche), with his marriage record showing his father's name as Robert Smith, and his death certificate showing his birthplace as Kent. Neither document shows his year of birth/age/birthdate, unfortunately.
Adair, Ager, Anderson, Angel, Ayles, Badenoch, Bampton, Bannister, Bedell/Beadle/Beadel, Beresford, Bird, Blaesing, Brown, Butterworth, Clements, Eaton, Elston, Finn, Frith, Green, Groom, Hales, Hance, Heudebourck, Hollis, Maple, Menzel, Nancarrow, Noble, Oakley, Peed, Porter, Prior, Roberts, Sands, Scarlet(t), Sharples, Smith, Stickles/Stickells, Stokes, Sur(r)idge, Thurston, Tiver, Tulloch, Wade, Weeden, Wood, Young

Offline Kate-Birchtree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 December 23 11:32 GMT (UK) »
You could look for a baptism record and hope the birth date was recorded.

Or look for a Robert Smith/Taylor marriage pre 1853.

There are William Smith father Robert baptisms in Kent/London c1853/4. 

Have you tried getting any birth certificates?  Appreciate it's the worst name to pick from.

You're right, it's probably the worst possible name to research (well, him and the other annoying Smiths in my tree!)  :D

These are great ideas but unfortunately I've already tried the Taylor/Smith marriage search (with nothing compelling to show for it!) Baptisms so far have led to brick walls or Williams who married and died in England. I've also tried searching for illegitimate Williams with mother's surname Taylor or Smith.

I've done some elimination work on William Smith civil birth registration records across both Kent and Newcastle, and purchased a few records, but none of those have been the right person (after tracing those people back through the BDM records). There are of course so many William Smith birth records on GRO that it's cost prohibitive to go for the needle-in-a-haystack approach  :-\

Offline Kate-Birchtree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 December 23 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Information on death certificates often provide the least accurate information about an individual.

What information do you see about his birth place on his marriage record, and on the birth records for his children?

This newspaper item regarding his wedding aniversary has him from Newcastle.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/90909322?searchTerm=“Stickells%20taylor%20smith”

Thanks for finding this! This is the article I mentioned (referring to "late of Newcastle)  :)

I've definitely kept it in mind that the Kent birthplace may not be accurate, though I've searched Newcastle baptism/civil birth records alongside Kent just to be sure.

Sadly, his marriage record doesn't include a place of birth or birthdate/year. Also (really rotten luck), his youngest son (of 12
children) was born about 6-8 months before they started recording fathers' places of birth on birth records!

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 December 23 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Don't suppose it could be a place called Newcastle in Australia could it and be referring to somewhere he resided prior to his death  :-\

Seems a bit odd if he arrived as a child and had already moved from Kent to Newcastle so far apart.

Just a thought but the newspaper report does say England.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline ~buttons~

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 December 23 23:41 GMT (UK) »
I feel for you - looking for an unspecified William Smith is a challenge to say the least. I also have a William Smith, and, like you, he seems to have introduced a middle name - for whatever reason.  ::)

A few basic questions:
Details/date that the ship Orient arrived - in a Newspaper / TROVE?
Names of his children, in order?
What was his occupation?
Was he on any Electoral Rolls?

Where did you find that his future in-laws, the Stickells, were on the same ship? A Passenger list?

Interesting to see quite a few "William Taylor Smith" bp's in UK roughly about the same time.

Doubt this one's yours but I did like the WTS, son of Tauberville Smith! Now there's a forename to help if you're looking for Smiths!

Good luck