Author Topic: Matthew BATCHELDER  (Read 263 times)

Offline egeriaboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Matthew BATCHELDER
« on: Friday 08 December 23 20:21 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to track the marriages of 7 Matthew Batchelder/Batchelor and various spellings thereof, who were resident around Hardley in Norfolk and part of a gentry family of yeoman farmers that traces its roots in the village back to the 14th.c
So far I have identified 10 Matthew Batchelder marriages with the following ladies and dates and tried to ascertain their linkage. If anyone can delve deep into the annals of any dusty records I've missed, perhaps they can clarify or confirm the connections.

Alice Playford 1656

Katherine Hazell ?
Elizabeth Buck 1695
Hannah Goodwin 1704

Sarah Levie 1721
Elizabeth Butcher 1740
Hannah Rising 1758

Elizabeth Rising 1762

Ann Wright 1786

Amy Bryant 1809
paternal- WOODS, COOPER, STONE, SPINK, ABBOTTS, HANCOCK, TROTT and DOMINEY.
maternal - BATCHELOR, MASON, PARADINE, MAUNDERS, HOLMES, ANDREWS, COOPER and BARBER.

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew BATCHELDER
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 December 23 07:22 GMT (UK) »
The license for the 1758 marriage to Hannah Rising is on FindMyPast.

Both were widowed.
Other signatory is Charles Kearney, may indicate Hannah's maiden name.

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 December 23 07:41 GMT (UK) »
Do you have all the wills from the Norfolk Records Office?

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 December 23 14:05 GMT (UK) »
1762 Mathew was single, and of Bergh Apton Parish

As to the Sisland Marriage, Matthew may have been buried there 16 May 1779, no age given.

FreeREG;

1656 Marriage,
single man of Hardley, note There contract being published in Norwich markett three seav' markett dayes they were married at Winston

1695 Marriage, Widower of Hardley

1704 Marriage, Bachelor of Hardley

1721 Marriage to Sarah LOVIC he is Single and of Raveningham parish

1740 Marriage, Widower of Sisland, Elizabeth Widow also.

Other 2 are on there also.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline egeriaboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 December 23 16:19 GMT (UK) »
thanks for the replies.............can anyone find anything on a marriage to the katherine hazell I mentioned above?................Looked everywhere and only found a mention of her with no dates in the east anglian pedigree pages 11-13 for batchelder in the 16-18th.c.
maternal - BATCHELOR, MASON, PARADINE, MAUNDERS, HOLMES, ANDREWS, COOPER and BARBER.

Offline mark stiles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 11:16 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I was intrigued by your query about the marriages of Matthew Batchelders (or similar)
I am currently looking at this branch of my ancestry and think this is the sequence:
- Matthew Batchelder 1789-1847 (my Great x2 Grandfather). Boot Closer. Married Amy Bryant 1809 in Norwich. Split up with Amy about 1825 and lived with my Great x2 Grandmother, Lydia Robinson. Amy married again just 3 months after Matthew's death. His father:
- Matthew Batchelder 1765-1854. Ag Lab. Married Ann Wright 1786 in Swannington. His father:
- Matthew Batchelder 1728-1780. Farmer. Married Elizabeth Rising 1762 in Framingham Pigot. His father:
- Matthew Batchelder. Abt. 1693 - 1779. Yeoman. Married Sarah Lovic 1721 in Raveningham. Married Elizabeth Butcher 1740 in Seething. Married Hannah Rising nee Tripp 1758 in Sisland. His father possibly:
- Matthew Batchelder who died 1720 in Hardley - I have just requested his will from NRO. He probably married Elizabeth Buck 1695 in Norwich and Hannah Goodwin in 1704. Was his first wife Katherine Hazell? Possibly married in Hardley before abt.1690
The pre-1715 parish records for Hardley seem to be lost (and the only Archdeacon's transcripts before this date seem to be for 1699, 1705, 1707/08/09) - this might explain the lack of earlier parish records for the Batchelders of Hardley
I have much further information if you are interested
I have not yet been able to see the East Anglian Pedigrees pages of relevance - How did you access them?
Many Regards
Mark Stiles

Offline egeriaboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 19:36 BST (UK) »
I have the 3 pages of the batchelder pedigree we're talking about mark. I have studied same ad finitum recently and still scratching my head over forming the correct family connections. I think your summary is about right, but email me and I'll send you the pages and my thinking. Perhaps you can make more sense of it and thus help me, make more sense of it.

Offline mark stiles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thank you for the reply and the offer to send the pedigree. I have however now found the same (on familysearch) and have taken a look at it. It's difficult to know how much we should rely on its accuracy as I, at least, know nothing of its author, Arthur Campling
I wonder where Campling found the information on Katherine Hazell?
I should add that this morning I received the image of the will (made 13 June 1720) of Matthew Batchelder of Langley juxta Carleton, Yeoman. He left all his assets, and any debts, to his son, Matthew Batchelder, although Matthew was required to take care of his siblings until they could do so for themselves. Son, Matthew was the sole executor, and no other family members were mentioned by name. I think we can assume that this son was the Matthew Batchelder, abt. 1693-1779.
Campling records that the parents of Matthew (who died 1720) were William and Judith. However, I have also seen the Norfolk RO summary of documents they hold on the deeds to parcels of land in Hardley, Langley and Chedgrave in which "Matthew Batcheler was admitted as heir of his parents Charles and Alice in 1684."
There are also several more wills and documents on the NRO site that might be useful
I would be very happy to exchange information and documents with you by e-mail but I have only just joined this forum and am not sure how we exchange addresses privately
Regard
Mark

Offline egeriaboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 18:38 BST (UK) »
ok.......I'm quite new here too...........have sent you a PM (private message) with my email address

kind regards