Author Topic: Can I discover more about an Eighteenth Century soldier?  (Read 653 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can I discover more about an Eighteenth Century soldier?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 December 23 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, this is interesting. Incidentally, on the next page of that book the entry for Mary Spencer seems very likely to relate to the Mary Spencer who was the sole beneficiary of Nathaniel’s PCC will. Also, it’s possibly useful to know that he was 44 he died. Maybe the militia role was one he’d changed to in older age, having retired from the regular army?

Dave :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 December 23 19:03 GMT (UK) »
This web page has a good description of the composition of the Leicestershire militia in the 18th century, and how it would have been deployed:  https://www.bottesfordhistory.org.uk/content/war-and-peace/bottesford-2nd-world-war/wartime-bottesford/militia-men-recruits-and-volunteers
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 December 23 19:52 GMT (UK) »
"Sergeant Nathaniel Spencer was promoted ensign in the 79th Foot in 1762 for his bravery at Manila" - apparently mentioned in this paper on JSTOR: https://www.jstor.org/stable/27024880

He was on half pay from 79th Foot in 1778: https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/A_List_of_the_Officers_of_the_Army_and_o/sMECAAAAYAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22nathaniel+spencer%22+%2279th+foot%22&pg=PA218&printsec=frontcover

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 December 23 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Found the burial date on a ref. list I have

Captain Spencer buried 9 Mar 1783 age 43

In the Hereford Journal 20 March 1783

DIED.
At Worksop, in Nottinghamshire, Captain Spencer, of the Leicestershire Militia.
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 December 23 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this, Willsy,

ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 10 December 23 09:36 GMT (UK) »
I’ve just come across this rather intriguing information which possibly explains why Captain Spencer was en route home with the Leicestershire Militia, along the route of the Great North Road, when he died at Worksop:

https://calmview.eastriding.gov.uk/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=zQSF%2F300%2FD%2F1

I wonder what they were doing on the East Yorkshire coast?

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 10 December 23 09:46 GMT (UK) »
I wonder what they were doing on the East Yorkshire coast?

Have you read the page I posted the link to earlier?

" Leicestershire had to raise 560 men, whose duties involved guarding prisoners of war and manning the defences of various coastal towns. They were not compelled to serve overseas."

https://www.bottesfordhistory.org.uk/content/war-and-peace/bottesford-2nd-world-war/wartime-bottesford/militia-men-recruits-and-volunteers

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 December 23 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, yes, I did read this interesting article you kindly gave the link to. What I was wondering about, though, was why the Leicestershire Militia was present on the Yorkshire coast in 1783, because at this particular time I’m not sure what threats were posed to the English coast, since the French Revolutionary War was still some years in the future.

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 10 December 23 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Checking 18th Century Army/Militia lists

Published 1776  - Army
HALF PAY
79th Foot - Lieut Nathaniel Spencer

Published 1778 - Militia (includes "the place where the Corps is now quartered")
Leicestershire Militia (at Liverpool)
Lieut - Nathaniel Spencer

Published 1779 - Army
HALF PAY
79th Foot - Lieutenant Nathaniel Spencer