Author Topic: Descendants of Henry Curry b.1816 d.1903, Durham  (Read 246 times)

Offline Zane81

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Descendants of Henry Curry b.1816 d.1903, Durham
« on: Saturday 09 December 23 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I am looking for descendants of Henry Curry and Isabella Curry who might still be in the Durham / Newcastle upon Tyne area.

Their daughter Emma Curry b. 1855 in Hetton, Durham is my 2nd Great Grandmother who immigrated to Australia in 1885. Their son Robert Curry b.1857 also immigrated to Australia in 1885 but died shortly after in 1887. Immigration records show that Robert's wife Mary Ann and their surviving son Henry travelled to Australia in 1887 to be with Robert, but were back in the UK by the 1891 census. I know that Henry went on to marry Agnes Amelia Curry, and they had at least two daughters - Mary Eva and Agnes M.
My hope is that perhaps some correspondence between Robert and Mary Ann has survived through Henry's line and been passed down. I am trying to piece together Emma's life in Queensland for a documentary I am making, and this seems like it would have been a significant event for her. I am also hoping that correspondence from Emma herself might survive in a shoe box in someone's cupboard somewhere.

If anyone has any information about this family that might help, even old pictures, it would all be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants of Henry Curry b.1816 d.1903, Durham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 December 23 01:14 GMT (UK) »
Did Henry not marry Agnes Amelia Thompson 1909 Newcastle ,
Mary Eva Curry mothers maiden name Thompson birth registered Newcastle D 1910,
=======================================================
Burial West Road cemetery
Entry number 3799
Agnes Amelia Curry
aged 72 years
12th Feb 1952,
Ashes ,
death occurred at her home address,182 Stone Street Newcastle,
No service,
Section H
no 509,
consecrated,
Henry Curry aged 62 years ,his ashes were placed in this plot November 25th 1941, died at 182 Stone St,
Mary Eva Curry aged 72 years, her ashes were also placed in this plot,30th August 1983,Mary died at the General hospital, her home address was 14 Prospect Place,
==============================================
in 1966, Agnes and Mary are both single and living at 182 Stone Street,
in 1970 at 182 Stone Street the sister are still unmarried ,but there is also a lady called Mavis A Curry, I suspect Mavis was the Mavis A Curry birth registered Newcastle June 1947 ,mothers name Curry,
===============================================================
Agnes Mildred  Curry birth 26th Jan 1921, died Newcastle Upon Tyne Jan 2000,
IN 1972 and 1974 , Mavis A, Mary E and Agnes M Curry are living at 14 Prospect Place,
Mary Eva Curry purchased this  family grave 25th November 1941,
the daughter is still living in 2010, unmarried at her families home ,Prospect Road, ,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Zane81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 December 23 03:25 GMT (UK) »
Did Henry not marry Agnes Amelia Thompson 1909 Newcastle ,
Mary Eva Curry mothers maiden name Thompson birth registered Newcastle D 1910,

the daughter is still living in 2010, unmarried at her families home ,Prospect Road, ,

Thank you Radcliff, this is incredible information. This daughter seems like the most likely candidate to possess the kind of information I am after. Do you know how I might reach out to her?

Offline Zane81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 December 23 04:28 GMT (UK) »
I have drafted a letter that I will send to her address in the hopes that she is still living and still resides there. She would be approximately 75-76 now, so there is a good chance.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 December 23 11:42 GMT (UK) »
if you don't have any joy try Old Photo's of Newcastles West End on Facebook, put Prospect Place in and there are a few posts, you may be able to chat to a past resident of the street
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,