Author Topic: Uniform and date help, please  (Read 296 times)

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Uniform and date help, please
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 December 23 19:19 GMT (UK) »
I am pretty certain the group in the first photograph are not the Royal Leicestershire Regiment. The men holding the horses and those seated the front row seated are all wearing spurs, which along with the ammunition bandoliers indicate this was a mounted unit, not infantry. Unfortunately the cap badges are too indistinct to identify the unit.  And I agree that the sailor is not the same person as the man holding the horse.

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 December 23 19:39 GMT (UK) »
2 years older Brother William Bragger Taylor before his 4 years Overseas

CHAPMAN ROBINSON McKAY O'MALLEY

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 December 23 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks peeps. 

I've had my doubts about this one from the beginning.  There was, undoubtedly, a Charles Daniel Taylor in the Leicesters during WW1, but I don't think it was the one b. 1897.  The one b. 1897 might be the sailor or the man with the horse, but unless he can be found on an Absent Voters' List, we may never know.

Thanks again for your help.

STG

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 December 23 19:56 GMT (UK) »
The Charles Daniel Taylor on that Leicester Link was born on that date Mothers Maiden Name Bragger and Died March 1968 Epping but that Biography was provided by Family not the Army or Regt - which could be bad Family Research.
Strange why Charles living in London pre Conscription chose to go to Leicester to enlist that Regt from Choice.
He went to France October 1914 after his Training which implies he Enlisted pre August 1914 when he was only probably only 16 -Very Strange - Brothers usually followed into the Forces after what the Elder Sibling had done.
From the Army Record/Medal Card for Charles Daniel Taylor we have no information how old that Soldier was or where born and when.
CHAPMAN ROBINSON McKAY O'MALLEY