Author Topic: Western Māori Electoral Roll 1908.  (Read 300 times)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Western Māori Electoral Roll 1908.
« on: Sunday 10 December 23 19:35 GMT (UK) »

Hello.

Five years ago, by pre-booking time slots at a Waikato District library, I was able to access and make note of, 21 enrolled voters in the 1908 roll. I have always intended to arrange for some more, back to back bookings, to check my prepared list, for E. & O E. (see attachment)

But have not yet managed to do so.

If anyone has access, from their home, and time to spare, a check of the attached list would be very much appreciated.

Ideally, I wanted the details of the 53 local Māori, who the press of the day, reported block voted for Mr Henare KAIHAU, in the 1899 election. [Inc., WAIKATO ARGUS 20/12/1899 p3.]

All being TRIBE - Waikato; HAPU - Hukanui.

As the WOODLANDS ESTATE was the largest employer in the area, most males would have had employment opportunities on the Estate, either directly, or by contractor’s to the Estate, but by 1908 the Estate had been surveyed up, and sold off.

Unfortunately extensive enquiries, with recognised National and Tainui archives, have failed to find any evidence of a surviving copy of the 1899 roll.

Should any KAIHAU descent have inherited a copy, that would be a taonga (treasure) of national significance.

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Western Māori Electoral Roll 1908.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 December 23 21:06 GMT (UK) »
National Library holds a copy  ... and also gives detail of other holdings > e.g. gazette listings - if this is of any use to you ?? 

https://natlib.govt.nz/records/21680670?search%5Bpath%5D=items&search%5Btext%5D=NZ+Maori+voters+roll

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 December 23 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Previous thread on similar subject   ;)   > >

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=804164.0

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 December 23 23:07 GMT (UK) »

....If anyone has access, from their home, and time to spare, a check of the attached list would be very much appreciated.   ....

....    All being TRIBE - Waikato; HAPU - Hukanui.    ....

Alan.

Hi Alan

The 1908 Western Maori Electoral Roll is available at the ancestry.com website.
[  Larger libraries in NZ most usually have in-house access to ancestry - helpful for those who don't have a subscription to that site.]

You've written >

...   "All being TRIBE - Waikato, HAPU - Hukanui"  ...

??     Querying  > "HAPU - Hukanui"  ?    HAPU means "subtribe" - doesn't it ??

... and the "Hukanui" you refer to in your list. (and which also appears on the 1908 roll), is the "address" of the person (the voter), listed  ... isn't it ?

Are you only seeking voters who resided at "Hukanui"   ??

~  Lu

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 December 23 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Seasons greetings Lu. (and fellow RC members)

Thankyou for taking an interest.

I do not subscribe to Ancestry, and that is why initially I had to visit the library closest to me, who would give me access to the Ancestry held copy. Not familiar with the Ancestry site I used up my first secession finding my way around it's operation. Following additional space bookings, I was able to view the record, which from memory was surnames in alphabetical order, like a more modern print version of a NZ roll. I then read the roll in alphabetical page, by page, order, keeping notes. Photographing the computer screen did not prove very successful, and I was not allowed to attach a memory stick, and save page captures, for processing at leasure, at home.

An overseas RC forum poster, whom I photographed some NZN archive files for, also did some research for me, but only knew how to look up individual names. Not view the roll searching for names that belonged to the TRIBE "Waikato" and were registered with a "Hukanui" address.

That of the mail bag service to the WOODLANDS Homestead. Not to be confused with other Hukanui's down south.

120 odd years on it is hard to find written evidence of those who helped break in the local rich soil farming land. [Plus I am shocking at proof reading my own work.]

Many descendants today have no knowledge that their forebares, for a period, migrated to the employment that was offered by the three local land developing Estates. At times over 200.

In the case of Maaori, when I am able to provide them with written evidence that they were there, plus that added bonus, confirming of their lineage [Hapu], they are grateful.

Alan.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 December 23 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Lu thanks for posting the link to my previous post, re this ongoing research. It is taking longer than I would like, and I had forgotten about that particular post.

Afraid age is catching up, and I now have to pace myself. Too many irons in a not so hot fire.

Alan.