Author Topic: Abraham Collicott,Canterbury,N.B.-Death Records?  (Read 259 times)

Offline sarah.negus84

• I have turned off my email notifications
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Abraham Collicott,Canterbury,N.B.-Death Records?
« on: Monday 11 December 23 04:34 GMT (UK) »
Seeking information on death/burial records for Abraham COLLICOTT b.June 3,1845 Canterbury,York,N.B.,d.1881 (?) s/o William COLLICOTT and Jerusha ESTEY. Abraham md.Mary Theodora COULTHARD b.1847,d.1937 d/o William D. COULTHARD and Hannah DOW;2nd md.1910 Chesley HANSON. One thing to note is that there is a 29 year gap between Abraham's death and Dora's 2nd marriage,her age at that time being 63 (curious about that,too.....)

I cannot find any record of a death or burial for Abraham anywhere. For all I know,he could be buried in Canterbury but if there was a gravestone,it's not there now. Dora's death certificate on PANB lists her burial as "Dow Cemetery" (poss. Lower Meductic?),while Chesley was buried at "Douglas Municipal Cemetery". Seems the burials for both Dora and Chesley are not available either on Findagrave or PANB,so I can't tell which husband,if any,Dora would have been buried with. In 1891 she and the children were living in her father's home in Canterbury.

Abraham and Dora had five children:

1.Hulda Victoria (1871-1965);md.Roscoe DURLING
2.Edwin (Edward?) H. (1873-)
3.Ernest (1874-);md.Mary WHITE
4.Hannah Amy (1877-1959);md.Elijah JOHNSON (note:Elijah's mother Ruth was Abraham's sister,making them first cousins)
5.David (1879-)

At the moment,I want to focus on Abraham's whereabouts:when exactly he died,where he died,and possibly,but not vital at the moment,why Dora didn't remarry until 1910.
Negus,Johnson,Knox,McLaren,Morrell

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Abraham Collicott,Canterbury,N.B.-Death Records?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 December 23 07:49 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried newspaper reports?

Did Abraham leave for greener pastures/ opportunities and not return, hence the long wait before his wife remarried.

Could they read and write, so that communication was possible.

Offline sarah.negus84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 December 23 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried newspaper reports?

Did Abraham leave for greener pastures/ opportunities and not return, hence the long wait before his wife remarried.

Could they read and write, so that communication was possible.

PANB has newspaper articles (province wide,I might add) containing vital statistics up to 1896,but nothing there regarding Abraham. As to whether he could read and write,I do not know. One strange thing just occurred to me,and which I forgot to add last night:

Daniel F. Johnson : Volume 78 Number 1066

Date June 20 1891
County Carleton
Place Woodstock
Newspaper Carleton Sentinel

info The language of the text is the original used in the newspaper entry and as transcribed by Daniel F. Johnson. Records acquired by the Provincial Archives are not translated from the language in which they originate.

m. At residence of bride's father, June 3rd, 3 p.m., by Elder D.E. Brooks, James H. DURLING / Miss Huldah P. COLICOTT, all of Canterbury.

Marriage certificate also lists the place as "home of bride's parents". I also had to go back and re-examine the 1881 census:Dora is also living then with her parents along with Edwin,Hannah and David,so if Abraham did die in 1881,it was obviously before the census was taken. Why,then,would Hulda's marriage record suggest that Abraham was alive?

One last thing to note:I have photographs of Abraham and his sister Ruth,both of whom show *very* clear signs of Native ancestry. Not sure if this is relevant,but knowing the racial tensions of the time,maybe something to consider?

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 December 23 01:54 GMT (UK) »
In the 1871 Census, Abraham is newly married (Feb. 1871) and living at home with his wife, parents, and siblings, with father William born in England.  While his mother was born in New Brunswick, there is no indication she was indigenous. Their marriage in 1838 gives her maiden name as Estey.  Married the same day was a Mary Estey to a George Miller.  All in the Catholic records in Fredericton. 

The Hulda(h) who marries in 1891 is Abraham's sister, not his daughter as per the marriage record:

https://archives.gnb.ca/search/VISSE/141B7.aspx?culture=en-CA&guid=8eed1b26-755b-4613-bc33-6ec6925c22eb

1891 Census indicates Dora is a widow.  The likely answer is that Abraham's death was never registered, and the tombstone (if any) has not survived.

Offline sarah.negus84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 December 23 04:14 GMT (UK) »
In the 1871 Census, Abraham is newly married (Feb. 1871) and living at home with his wife, parents, and siblings, with father William born in England.  While his mother was born in New Brunswick, there is no indication she was indigenous. Their marriage in 1838 gives her maiden name as Estey.  Married the same day was a Mary Estey to a George Miller.  All in the Catholic records in Fredericton. 

The Hulda(h) who marries in 1891 is Abraham's sister, not his daughter as per the marriage record:

https://archives.gnb.ca/search/VISSE/141B7.aspx?culture=en-CA&guid=8eed1b26-755b-4613-bc33-6ec6925c22eb

1891 Census indicates Dora is a widow.  The likely answer is that Abraham's death was never registered, and the tombstone (if any) has not survived.

Hulda was indeed Abraham's daughter,her death certificate states her as such:

https://archives.gnb.ca/Search/VISSE/141C5.aspx?culture=en-CA&guid=9ae548ec-40b7-44e0-8679-d66d3298d063

Hulda's birth was in 1871,making her much too young to be his sister......

The William she was living with prior to her marriage was her maternal grandfather;why he is listed as her father in the marriage certificate,I don't know. As to Mary (Estey) Miller,she was the younger sister of Abraham's mother Jerusha.