Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 17th December  (Read 1773 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 17th December
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 December 23 16:07 GMT (UK) »
I HATE "Round Robin" letters - can't bring myself to write them, so spent all last weekend writing cards and letters to go in with them, tipped the whole lot in the big post box at the Post Office - and immediately felt that huge burden lift from my shoulders. Today I wrote all the "by hand" ones I walk round and deliver locally, and ....  walked round and posted those through doors.
-And I hate getting Round Robins. The only ones I like are those bobbing around in our soggy back garden.
As I'd been earlier into town,  trying to sort out 'bus passes - I got one with a long out of date photo of me on, mine's not due for renewal until next January - but my OH hasn't got one, so I tried to contact "them" to ask if they needed a more up to date pic for me, and ask why OH wasn't renewed at same time, as we'd got them on same day originally, only to find they can't be sorted out locally any longer. Is that progress? (No answer needed)
Swept up huge pile of leaves, and popped them on garden side beds to rot down - no wonder I'm tired out now.
Hope all are well. Soon get past Christmas and New Year - I hope!
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 December 23 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Yes, a lovely afternoon,sunny ,mild and a joy to be out,I delivered the cards
I don’t post.
So many steps up to the houses opposite ,many without handrails,so me going very slowly.
Some rat trap letter boxes too!
I feel sorry for posties, letterboxes right at the bottom of the door !

Well, things to do and organise.
Cheerio, Viktoria.
P.S.can’t remember who wrote that, L.M.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 December 23 16:28 GMT (UK) »
TY - only problem with getting past Christmas and New Year - what are we then going to grumble about or hate, possibly apart from getting older?

As I have said before - I am not known as "trouble" for nothing  8)
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 December 23 17:10 GMT (UK) »
An older male cousin and I both married and moved away from our home town .
 We used to type out our annual news which we enclosed inside the cards we sent to parents, grandparents and other close kin.

I wouldn't dream of doing the same with cards I send to pals but when you've grown up in times of turmoil I think people draw closer together.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 17th December,
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 December 23 18:42 GMT (UK) »
I also hate Round Robin letters, I received one yesterday from America by email. It was from someone I was at school with many moons ago. It was addressed to All, it was full of news about people of whom I have no idea who they are, just two names were recognisable to me. No doubt two other friends will have received the same, they are usually just as unimpressed as I am.

I shall be sending an e-card, with a simple greeting, I am not going to waste my time writing.

Cheer up BumbleB, get Christmas over and the days will start getting longer and we can look forward to the Spring. :)
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 December 23 21:04 GMT (UK) »
If anyone watched “ The Dog House” ,the little Patterdale dog named Crackers,but new owners renamed it Kiko,it was just like mine,it was lovely and so jolly.
Those black eyes and big paws,
I would love another but too old now I am afraid.

I have mentioned mine from time to time ,it was lovely to see another .
Viktoria.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 12 December 23 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Yes, a lovely afternoon,sunny ,mild and a joy to be out,I delivered the cards
I don’t post.
So many steps up to the houses opposite ,many without handrails,so me going very slowly.
Some rat trap letter boxes too!
I feel sorry for posties, letterboxes right at the bottom of the door !

Well, things to do and organise.
Cheerio, Viktoria.
P.S.can’t remember who wrote that, L.M.

The doors with letter boxes at the bottom of the door are to assist the postman if the house has several steps leading up to the door = he doesn't have to get to the top step before popping letters through the box.  He can stand on the bottom step and push the post through the letter box.

I lost the Ceylonese sapphire in my engagement ring due to a "rat trap" letter box.  I was helping a friend deliver leaflets.  I didn't miss it until I wondered why my ring kept catching on things when I was doing some housework.   Looked down and found the stone was missing.  I went to two jewellers trying to find a similar cut stone but the then modern stones were not cut in the same style.

I haven't looked out of my windows all day because I was too busy hunched over the table writing Christmas Cards and their envelopes.     I do hope I haven't missed anyone out, which is what I usually do and feel guilty when I realise I have received a card from somebody I hadn't remembered, or included in my list.

Surprisingly I received a  message from the USA   I knew who he was as I'd met him when he was a wee child, but he guessed who I was and contacted me re our family history.  This means that I've not done anything but responded to his questions. The automatic washing machine has gone bonkers so I washed some heavy articles of clothing by hand and forgot to hang them outside on the line..  Where is a Flatley drying unit when you want one?

I'm getting fed up of paying direct debits online - when the supplier gets bought out the new supplier finds it easy to take my money but I cant see my balances unless I change my passwords.  Bring back the days when only 8 digit/letters were required for a password and not something a long as the width of a page.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 12 December 23 23:48 GMT (UK) »
I’ve spent the past week making a whole batch of cards and this week now writing them!
I have decided that I’m sending e-cards to all ‘foreign’ friends and those who we only correspond with at Christmas as postage is costly and often take an age to get there… this year I’ve used Marie Curie and given a nice donation.
Local ones I will hand deliver.
I too hate round robins, half the time you don’t know who they’re talking about so it all seems a bit pointless… I’d rather just pop in a short hand written note to those who know my family so it has some meaning to it!
I have an old neighbour who moved away nearly 10 yrs ago now and every year she sends be a large envelope full of cards for villagers so I can put them through the doors saving her the postage! This year I sent her an e-card saying I wasn’t doing cards any longer hoping she’ll take the hint and post them herself individually… is that mean? I don’t know I think it’s a bit cheeky as she never asks they just arrive!

Wet and windy today, hubbie got soaked on the golf course and a friend who came for coffee this morning she lives in the lane behind us got drenched walking from my drive to her front door! A sudden downpour that lasted a minute or two.

I’ve been sending a few parcels using the PO’s app and have them collected from the house, they bring a label to stick on very useful and saves standing for ages in the post office! I’ve found it a very efficient service. Living in a village I know our postie well so feel confident in using the service.

We’ll time for bed!
Take care all

Caroline

Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 13 December 23 08:42 GMT (UK) »
My cards had letters  but each one tailored to the person concerned so I don't consider  them to be round Robins but I was pleased i had 2 phone calls due  to  my  letters, so  far..

I do admire these " crafty" people who are artistic and can make their own cards,  I have a friend who makes beautiful cards and I buy special ones from her, most other cards I buy in the charity shops after Christmas or before if needed but I do have a lot of cards, not always the ones I want for individuals, I buy them also for my bazaar stall at  Christmas.

Cards are arriving very slowly this year, one at a time with plenty of begging letters.

No rain today after having a deluge  yesterday, fed up with rain , would just like a few nice days

Think I am getting lazy in my old age, could cheerfully have stayed in bed  this  morning but what is the use  if you can't sleep.

Am seeing my husbands siblings today, we meet up at Christmas time, the only time we see them now.

Well I  had better get a move on, things don't get done on their own

LM.
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London