Author Topic: Thomas Wright, cabinet maker, Bath 1825  (Read 454 times)

Offline baytree1970

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Wright, cabinet maker, Bath 1825
« on: Tuesday 12 December 23 17:41 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for any info on Thomas Wright, a cabinet maker living at 22 Westgate Street, Bath in 1825. I believe he was originally from Bristol and am trying to find evidence of his movements before and after 1825. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Wright, cabinet maker, Bath 1825
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 December 23 19:12 GMT (UK) »
How old was the son Henry in 1825?

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 December 23 22:26 GMT (UK) »
A Thomas Wright was apprenticed to James Grigg, Cabinet Maker, in Bristol in 1788. His father was Henry Wright, also a cabinet maker and from Bristol. With the usual age for starting an apprenticeship being 14, he was probably born in about 1774 and would have been about 50 in 1825. Does that fit with what you know?

David

ETA Thomas became a burgess in 1807. He took on apprentices of his own in 1809 and 1813. The apprenticeship records show his wife was called Mary.

In 1806 Thomas and Mary Wright baptised a son Henry at St James in Bristol. He would be 19 in 1825.

There are several possible weddings to Marys at Bristol
16 May 1796 Mary Grant, at St Nicholas
31 Mar 1798 Mary Webb, at St James
18 Aug 1800 Mary Gethen, at St James

Offline baytree1970

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 December 23 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, this matches the info I have also on Thos Wright from Bristol.

I have info on the family in Bristol, but also Bath, and London too, and I'm looking for more evidence to confirm it's all the same family.

A brief run-down of the family is:
  • Thomas Wright bapt.1775 to Henry Wright (cabinet maker) and wife Alice.
Thomas and Mary baptised the following children:
  • Maria Nelson Wright, Bath, bapt. 1801
  • Henry Wright, bapt. 1806 (St James, Bristol)
  • Bapt 1809 on the same day in St James - Caroline Matilda (b.1807), Eliza Anne (b.1809) and Thomas (b.1803)
  • Bapt 1813 on the same day in St James - Mary Anne b.1813 and Edwin b.1811

BATH

In 1825, Henry Wright, a cabinet maker living in Bath, was convicted of burglary and transported to Tasmania. Convict records give DOB as c.1806 and his place of origin is said to be Bristol. A letter pleading for leniency was sent by his father, Thomas Wright, a cabinet maker from Westgate Street, Bath. He confirms that Henry was 19 years old (therefore born c.1806) and from Bristol originally.

In Bristol in 1830 a certain Walter Davis was admitted as a Burgess in Bristol, and the patron was Thomas Wright, cabinet maker. The basis for Davis's admission was that he had married Wright's daughter, Maria, and later censuses record that she was born in Bath c.1800. There is a Maria Nelson Wright baptised in Bath in 1801 to Thomas and Mary.

Also admitted as a Burgess in 1830 was Thomas Wright jnr., a chair maker, the son of Thomas Wright cabinet maker.

Wright's daughter Caroline married Richard Remmington in Bath in 1832. Remmington was originally from East London (more below).

LONDON

I also have records which look like they relate to the same Thomas Wright which place him in Shoreditch, London, and I'm similarly trying to find evidence to confirm it's the correct family:

Thomas Wright also had a son, Edwin, born in 1811 in Bristol and baptised in 1813 in St James parish. In 1840 an Edward Wright was sentence and transported for robbery to Tasmania, convict records confirm he was a cabinet maker from Bristol, born at about that time. Again, a letter pleading for clemency is sent by his father, Thomas Wright, a cabinet maker living in Shoreditch but originally from Bristol. On the 1841 census Thomas appears with wife Mary and daughter Eliza, age 30. It's the same family as the street address is given in his letter pleading for clemency. His letter also confirms his son's name was Edwin, not Edward. Also in the convict records it's said that Edward (Edwin) had 2 brother and 4 sisters, which does correspond with what I know of Thomas. The brothers were Henry (mentioned above), Thomas jnr. b.1803, sisters were Maria b1801 (see above), Eliza Ann b.1809, Caroline b.1807, and Mary Ann b.1813.

Wright's daughter, Caroline, married a man from East London and they went back there to live in the Poplar area. Before that they were at Shoreditch and were living in Morton [Martin] Street there when their first child was baptised in 1837. Maria and Walter Davis, mentioned above, were also living in Martin St Shoreditch when they baptised their first child in 1835.

Finally, it seems that Caroline's son, Richard Albert Remmington, married Mary Ann Hankins, the daughter of Caroline's sister, Mary Ann. The marriage took place in Poplar. It seems beyond coincidence to me that this marriage would have taken place unless there were some existing association.

Well, as you can see I have a fair amount of circumstantial evidence. The cabinet maker thread runs throughout, and I cannot find another Thomas Wright cabinet maker in Bristol during this period. The names, dates and events involving Wright's children seem to correspond. What I need though is evidence to confirm that these are indeed the same family.

I'd be very grateful for any help with this.

Thanks!

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 December 23 23:29 GMT (UK) »
I think you have a very good case (more than circumstantial) that you have found the correct family connection.
Thomas Wright mentioned in newspapers (article or advertising) in Bath around 1825,  or a will / probate for him are about the only other things I can think of that might add weight to your argument.

When Henry or Edward Wright marry or die in Australia is there any name given to their parents?
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline baytree1970

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 December 23 00:45 GMT (UK) »
I can't find anything else referringto their past once they went to tasmania. both died there in old age.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 December 23 14:13 GMT (UK) »
This 1824 directory of Bath doesn't list Thomas Wright but it does list a Coombe, currier at 22 Westgate Street. So perhaps Wright moved there circa 1824/5.

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/Hunt_s_Late_Gye_s_Original_Bath_Director/ZI6w7tpnxWYC?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=wright+%2222+westgate%22+bath&pg=PA56&printsec=frontcover
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline baytree1970

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 December 23 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I hadn't seen that, very useful

Offline baytree1970

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 December 23 15:51 GMT (UK) »
I found a poll book for 1830 which has two entries for Thomas Wright at Ellbroad St, Bristol. One described as chair maker, one a cabinet maker.

Could this be a case of double-counting, ie. it's the same person listed twice?

Or are they separate people? Thos Wright snr. was a cabinet maker but also had a son Thomas who was a chair maker - I'm wondering if this is father and son listed.