Author Topic: Tyne and Wear Archives look up & advice please  (Read 250 times)

Offline kelsmell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Tyne and Wear Archives look up & advice please
« on: Wednesday 13 December 23 12:52 GMT (UK) »
I was hoping someone could give me some help. I'm trying to help my father-in-law find out some definitive information about his Grandfather, Patrick Sheridan. We believe he was born about 1879 in Mayo, possibly lived/born in Tourmakeady. He was married on 23 Apr 1905 at St Aloysius, Hebburn. His Dad's name on the cert is Patrick. He has a brother, John, & possibly 2 sisters, Mary & Bridget (not 100% sure if correct i was told abt his sister's but i can't remember the details & the lady who told me has now passed)

None of the Mayo births I've seen fit quite right can't remember why as i looked years ago & when i look at the DNA matches the closest Sheridan matches all have a Michael Sheridan & Mary Staunton in their tree can't find a match that fits the details we have.

The only thing I can think of that might help is to find his Mum's name. I was hoping the R.C Church marriage registry are like those in Ireland & possibly have more information on them, So I messaged St Aloysius & was told the R.C registry are at Newcastle City Library, not sure but. I believe Tyne and Wear Archives - Ref C.HB10. I can't find any online access & I don’t live anywhere if someone uses this archive could do me a look up sometime in the future if that's a possibility i would be very grateful, Also if anyone can give me any advice on how to proceed with this research as I'm really stumped.

Wasn't sure where to post Northumberland or Durham.

Thank you.
Winship/Simpson/Addison from Durham.
Wade from Lancashire & Durham.
Johnson/Johnstone from Bellingham Northumberland & Durham.
Beattie from Angus & Durham.
Dicky/Low From Kincardineshire Scotland.
Smyth/Doyle/O'Connor/Connolly from Dublin.

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tyne and Wear Archives look up & advice please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 December 23 17:39 GMT (UK) »
The transcription of the civil marriage registration shows that he married either Mary Ellen Coyne or Ellen Roberts (snippet image courtesy of Find My Past)

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 December 23 17:52 GMT (UK) »
I found 2 civil birth registrations for Sheridan with mother's maiden name of Coyne.

A son's birth, Michael, was registered in Quarter 4 of 1906, South Shields District, Volume 10A, Page 909

A daughter's birth, Bridget, was registered in Quarter 2 of 1911, South Shields District, Volume 10A, Page 960

It appears that Patrick married Mary Ellen Coyne

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 December 23 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Patrick and Mary Ellen had another daughter, Mary whose birth was registered Quarter 1 of 1909, Tynemouth District, Volume 10B, Page 232 (Tynemouth was on the opposite side of the River Tyne to Hebburn.

I found Mary remarried with her children in the 1921 Census living at 12, Court 11, Walker Lane, Derby

John   Welsh, Head, born Mayo, Ireland circa 1889
Mary   Welsh, Wife, born circa 1885, Hebburn, Durham
Michael Sheridan, Step-son, born circa 1906, Hebburn, Durham
Mary   Sheridan, Step-daughter, born circa 1909, Northumberland
Bridget Sheridan   , Step-daughter, born circa 1911, Hebburn, Durham

Offline kelsmell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 December 23 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi AllanUK, The info you found is  100% Correct, I knew Mary Ellen Sheridan (Nee Coyne) remarried to a man named Walsh but I didn’t know or forgot his name. Bridget told me many years ago but i could only remember his surname, so thank you very much for that info. Unfortunately, Mary Ellen's husband, Patrick, abandoned his family when he went to America in 1910 so they knew very little about him. I was able to give his daughter some info about him before they passed.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 December 23 19:00 GMT (UK) »
There is a service record for a Patrick Sheridan - attestation date 8 Apr 1902 with the Durham Artillery. ( According to Mr Google this was a part time reserve unit). Age is given as 23 and address as 8, Collins Lane, Hebburn. Place of birth is Mayo and occupation labourer. Next of kin is given as Father Mr Sheridan, Ballinrob, Co. Mayo, Ireland. Could this be the same chap? If so this suggests that his father was still alive at the time of attestation and potentially could be located in the 1901 Ireland census?

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline kelsmell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 December 23 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Ohh thats definitely him, the Coyne’s lived at that address, Thats brilliant i will investigate  :)