Author Topic: Birthplace mystery - and other questions  (Read 256 times)

Offline Pennant

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birthplace mystery - and other questions
« on: Thursday 14 December 23 12:01 GMT (UK) »
I found my great-grandmother Sarah Williams in the 1871 census (RG10/5708) living in Llaniestyn with her parents Robert and Jane Williams (nee Williams) and his mother, Elizabeth Griffith, who was 77 and born in Meillteyrn. In 1861, it says she was 71 and born in Aberdaron, and in 1851, she was 56 and born in Llanengan. These are not neighbouring parishes, but relatively far apart when you consider walking distances. Also, she was "widowed" in 1851, and unmarried in the other two censuses.

On Robert's baptism record it said that the father was unknown, but on the marriage certificate, it said that his father was William Griffith. Do you think he took the name Williams from his father? And it crossed my mind that they put father "not known" because he was related to Elizabeth, but I don't know where to go, when I have no definite birth place.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Online Raybistre

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Birthplace mystery - and other questions
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 December 23 13:44 GMT (UK) »
I believe that the patronymic naming system was still in use in the far west of the Lleyn peninsula quite late in the 19th century so quite probable that Robert Williams father was William Griffith. Some used the system others did not. I don't think that Llanengan and Aberdaron are that far apart, people walked miles then.
Ray

Offline Pennant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 December 23 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. Is it likely that someone wouldn't know where they were born? Then change their minds from census to census?

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 December 23 14:15 GMT (UK) »
They may not be neighbouring parishes but they are all in Pwllheli registration district.

If someone is born in one, but moves as a young child elsewhere, they will not necessarily know where they were born.  If your parents never said, what would anyone assume.  But then they could just have been told in later life.

I changed from one place to another depending on my mood - one was a very small hamlet which no-one had ever heard of.

Offline Pennant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 December 23 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. That makes sense, at least for two places, but three places seems more problematic. So I don’t know where to search for her baptism certificate (assuming she had one). I’m leaning towards Aberdaron, since there’s a William Griffith and someone with the name of one of the witnesses (which I don’t have to hand).