Author Topic: 1885 map field names  (Read 263 times)

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1885 map field names
« on: Thursday 14 December 23 14:12 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking at an 1885 25" OS map on the NLS site, and each field on the map is numbered. On an 1875 will I have a reference to a "patch of land at Homer in the parish of Much Wenlock which I call Derricutts patch." Any ideas as to how I can match Derricutts Patch with a specific field or fields?
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Online Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1885 map field names
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 December 23 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Tithe maps?

Online GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 December 23 15:35 GMT (UK) »
The numbering was done by the Ordnance Survey.
You might get some luck with manor records, or with wills. Might be worth trying for some local knowledge via social media or the local newspaper.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 December 23 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Not much help but there were Dorricots near Minsterly ,South of Shrewsbury  on the Bishops Castle Road .
In fact one Andrew Dorricot a Lay Preacher, was killed in an accident at Snailbeach Lead mine in 1895,6th of March.

It is possible he was of Cornish origin,the Shropshire lesd mine was booming as the Cornish tin was getting harder to extract ,the processes are very similar.
May not be useful to you but a slim chance  there  is some family connection.
Viktoria.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 December 23 16:10 GMT (UK) »
It might be worth investigating the Shropshire Archives field name maps
https://www.shropshirearchives.org.uk/blog/field-name-maps/
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 December 23 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestions.

The Shropshire archives looks good, but I think it will need a visit in the New Year. :)
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 December 23 19:41 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking at an 1885 25" OS map on the NLS site, and each field on the map is numbered. On an 1875 will I have a reference to a "patch of land at Homer in the parish of Much Wenlock which I call Derricutts patch." Any ideas as to how I can match Derricutts Patch with a specific field or fields?

Not just the fields but all 'parcels' of land were numbered - the parcel sometimes covering multiple plots of land (e.g. in a village multiple houses and gardens could make up one parcel).

The numbers cross reference with published parcel lists for each sheet - known as "Parish Area Books" or "Books of Reference".

Some Books of Reference might include a field name or description, but this varied over time and isn't consistent.

And tracking down the Book of Reference for a particular sheet is a challenge in itself (they were obviously less useful than the maps themselves).