Author Topic: McNamee Great Aunts, Belfast  (Read 777 times)

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: McNamee Great Aunts, Belfast
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 16 December 23 17:36 GMT (UK) »
My Try at picture 2 with a tad bit of dull colouring for some accent.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 December 23 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Carol, much appreciated. :)

Eileen, I'd say uncle Ted looks about 3, give or take some months; on that basis the lady could be either aunt, but it would mean Elizabeth died not long after the picture with Ted was taken--the feasibility of it being her might depend on what she died of.

Looking at the images below, if it's Sarah she would have been about 41, Elizabeth would have been about 36. To be honest I don't think either aunt fully fits the lady in the photo with Ted. If I were to choose one, I'd make it Sarah: despite the different styles, her hair is parted in about the same place in both pics and her nose/mouth/chin relationships are closer than that of Elizabeth who has a fuller face, larger chin and closer-together nose and mouth. There are some similarities to Elizabeth as well but, on balance, if there are no other possibilities for a "favourite aunt" I'd have to go with Sarah.

Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 December 23 14:45 GMT (UK) »
A restore from me.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Eileen B.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 December 23 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Carol, much appreciated. :)

Eileen, I'd say uncle Ted looks about 3, give or take some months; on that basis the lady could be either aunt, but it would mean Elizabeth died not long after the picture with Ted was taken--the feasibility of it being her might depend on what she died of.

Looking at the images below, if it's Sarah she would have been about 41, Elizabeth would have been about 36. To be honest I don't think either aunt fully fits the lady in the photo with Ted. If I were to choose one, I'd make it Sarah: despite the different styles, her hair is parted in about the same place in both pics and her nose/mouth/chin relationships are closer than that of Elizabeth who has a fuller face, larger chin and closer-together nose and mouth. There are some similarities to Elizabeth as well but, on balance, if there are no other possibilities for a "favourite aunt" I'd have to go with Sarah.

Peter

Thanks so much Peter, my thought was that it had to be Sarah. About a year before Uncle Ted died he discovered where 8 of the McNamee family were buried and he paid for a headstone and this is what he has on it. Sarah was obviously a favourite aunt. I just couldn’t reconcile the 2 women, although I did think the jaws were the same.  I grew up hearing from my Mom how much Sarah disliked her and how bad tempered Sarah was so it was a surprise to realize that Ted had a completely different outlook. Plus I was told that Sarah had flaming red hair but she must have died it at the time of that pic.
It is fun trying to figure out little stories from the past.

Thanks again to everyone, you are all such talented restorers and I appreciate you.

Eileen
O’Neill Ramsey McFall from Belfast
McNamee McLaughlin Sharkey from Sion Mills Co Tyrone
Doey/Dooey Ballymena McKay from Glenarm

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 17 December 23 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Did you miss my restoration Eileen?
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Eileen B.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 17 December 23 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Ooh sorry Carol, I did indeed miss it. Thank you so much, it is really lovely. I am in awe at the talent….I am still waiting for my talents to develop😂

Eileen
O’Neill Ramsey McFall from Belfast
McNamee McLaughlin Sharkey from Sion Mills Co Tyrone
Doey/Dooey Ballymena McKay from Glenarm

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 17 December 23 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Ok, I didn't think you had seen it as other messages overtook it.
Pleased to that you are happy with it.
Carol

Offline jmagarac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 20 December 23 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Nice work Peter! :D

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 20 December 23 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, jmagarac. :)
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.