Author Topic: Missing Marriage/1901 Census for William Crean & Ellen Murphy  (Read 2063 times)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Marriage/1901 Census for William Crean & Ellen Murphy
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 16 December 23 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to Dundee et al.
Clearly I just need to get some more sleep, and let others solve the problems!  :)

But these "finds" bring up two important questions for me. 

First, one of the first things I look at on Ancestry are other family trees with the same person.
With regard to "my" William Crean, Ancestry has from the started prominently hinted at trees that are not him, or him but wrong wife and children. That is a William Crean born on correct day, 10/3/1877, two giving correct Co Wexford location and his actual parents, but then having him marrying an Ann Jane McGuinness in Dublin in 1907, and dying there in 1920. That William Crean was actually a completely different fellow - but from first to last Ancestry keeps pointing to these incorrect trees.

On the contrary, I  have never received a "hint" pointing to an Ancestry tree with his actual first marriage and family, to Ellen Murphy, even though there are some.
So, go figure - constant, constant hints to a completely wrong William Crean, while none to the correct fellow, even though there are trees with his correct first family.

Which brings me to his second marriage, to Dora Kenny. So far, I have not encountered *any* trees on Ancestry containing this second marriage! I just looked again, none are shown when I look at "all family tree results for William Crean". Same if I look for Dora Kenny.
So, what is the trick - how did several of you find trees with his wife Dora?

Then there is the death for Dora in 1968. Clearly is Dora Crean, so I was initially kicking myself - how could I have missed this! But when I search on IrishGenealogy, it doesn't turn up. Must be misindexed? One obvious misreading would be as Crow, but does not turn up under that either.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 16 December 23 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Update - after putting in Dora's date and place of death, now Ancestry - and only now - points me to a Kenny family tree with her and William Crean. Interesting, she was also from Oulart, as was he and his first wife. Played it safe.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 16 December 23 18:36 GMT (UK) »
In case in proves useful
Irish Independent 4 Nov 1968

Crean Dora nee Kenny (Cabinteely Co. Dublin ) widow of William Crean 22 Granville Crescent
Deeply regretted son brothers sisters
To Oulard Cemetery Gorey

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 16 December 23 18:43 GMT (UK) »
In case in proves useful
Irish Independent 4 Nov 1968

Crean Dora nee Kenny (Cabinteely Co. Dublin ) widow of William Crean 22 Granville Crescent
Deeply regretted son brothers sisters
To Oulard Cemetery Gorey

Very useful! I am in any case overdue a visit to the modern Oulart graveyard. I have a feeling William himself may have ended up back in Oulart too.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 16 December 23 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Possible for William
Sunday Independent
Newtown Ballygarrett Gorey Sept 28 1963
Wife sons daughter
To Oulart Cemetery

Informant on death cert might confirm that one way or the other.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 16 December 23 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Possible for William
Sunday Independent
Newtown Ballygarrett Gorey Sept 28 1963
Wife sons daughter
To Oulart Cemetery

Informant on death cert might confirm that one way or the other.

That is the DOD that the Kenny tree has for "my" William Crean, so could well be.  But there were others of the name in Wexford.
And surely there is no death registration, or we would have found it much earlier?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 16 December 23 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Informant probably wouldn’t help, just noticed I missed out he died in Wexford Hospital so even if there was one it would likely be hospital staff.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 16 December 23 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to that I think we have nailed where and when William passed.  :)

But that is just one of the three original challenges!
Never did find his marriage to Ellen Murphy ca. 1900/01, or him in the 1901 census.
I believe they must have married. But my understanding of the way the GRO registration system worked is that it was possible to go unregistered simply by not returning the original registration form to the registrar.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 16 December 23 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone managed to find the death registration for Dora Crean in 1968 simply by searching in the IrishGenealogy index? I keep failing, even if I search by just "Dora", or just "Crean".