Author Topic: Missing Marriage/1901 Census for William Crean & Ellen Murphy  (Read 2067 times)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Marriage/1901 Census for William Crean & Ellen Murphy
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 17 December 23 06:10 GMT (UK) »
Great news!

Indeed.

But I wish the Creans weren't so shy. One of William's brothers is the missing policeman of
"The Curious Case of The Missing Policeman"
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=863903.0

Case still open!
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 17 December 23 06:56 GMT (UK) »
I did submit a correction for Dora's indexed death because to me it is clearly 'Dora', not Doreen so we will see what they think.

The way the family tree search works on Ancestry also baffles me and I often can't find trees that others see unless I put in really specific dates or places of birth.  However I have enough things in my life that confuse me without worrying too much about that. :D

I found them by  using the same search technique I used to find the death registration of William in Wexford in 1963.

That is my usual 'go to' method, scroll scroll scroll until you see an odd looking surname.  If you want to, you can submit a correction.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/help/searchproblems.html#indexerrors

At the bottom 'Errors in index of names'.

Debra  :)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 17 December 23 07:19 GMT (UK) »

At the bottom 'Errors in index of names'.

Debra  :)

Believe me, I am quite familiar with that facility!  :)

So far, this one search has yielded four corrections - two death registrations (Dora and William's), and two 1901 census entries (William and Ellen).

I wonder, do the GRO and NAI actually act on corrections? Ancestry certainly don't. I have never seen them adopt a suggested correction, even for obvious, egregious errors. It is clear that they don't actually review any of the corrections!

This exercise has also revealed yet another serious systematic Ancestry error, for which there is no easy fix. This time it is the fact that they catalog or index all entries in the Liverpool Catholic cemetery registers as burials of deceased persons, when 50+ percent of the names in those registers are not those of the deceased at all. I suspect they make the same error with other graveyard registers.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area