Author Topic: Missing Marriage/1901 Census for William Crean & Ellen Murphy  (Read 2068 times)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Marriage/1901 Census for William Crean & Ellen Murphy
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 December 23 20:45 GMT (UK) »
William Crean was married at least twice, maybe three times.
Here is a link for a subsequent marriage in 1940.
Notice that it says he was a bachelor! I thought that was an oversight or mistake.
Now, I am not so sure...
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1940/08835/5194611.pdf
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 15 December 23 22:12 GMT (UK) »

Oh, I misunderstood you. I wonder, are you getting this from Family Search, which is notorious for getting locations wrong.

.....They were in Scotland  registration district of Liverpool, which is probably more than enough to throw off Family Search.

The births are from the GRO indexes. Scotland was not a registration district, is was West Derby.

The William in Renfrewshire in 1901 is also the only one I can see that might be him.

If the first child was born in October 1901 then you would think that William would be living somewhere close to Ellen when the census was taken.

Debra  :D

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 15 December 23 22:24 GMT (UK) »

Oh, I misunderstood you. I wonder, are you getting this from Family Search, which is notorious for getting locations wrong.

.....They were in Scotland  registration district of Liverpool, which is probably more than enough to throw off Family Search.

The births are from the GRO indexes. Scotland was not a registration district, is was West Derby.

The William in Renfrewshire in 1901 is also the only one I can see that might be him.

If the first child was born in October 1901 then you would think that William would be living somewhere close to Ellen when the census was taken.

When I mentioned Scotland registration district, I meant the district for the 1911 census, not births.
Ancestry calls it a "Registration district" or "sub-registration district". Is that not correct?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 15 December 23 22:36 GMT (UK) »

When you say William in Renfrewshire in 1901, what type of record is that?
No longer clear.

And of course I agree that William should have been close to Ellen in the 1901 census, given birth of first child in October! 

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 15 December 23 22:40 GMT (UK) »
I must say that William was a bit of an evasive fellow:
Can't find him in the 1901 census.
Can't find a marriage record to Ellen Murphy.
Can't find a death record for him in Ireland or England!

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 16 December 23 07:19 GMT (UK) »
clutching at straws re marriage, faint hope for 1901 census

Name   
William Creen
Birth   
abt 1877 Ireland
Residence   
Greenock East, Renfrewshire

Scotlands People have this one indexed as ‘Green’.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 16 December 23 09:07 GMT (UK) »
I have just sent this as a pm to original op as they sent me a pm

The William CREEN I found in 1901 in Greenock cannot be your man as upon further searching he married in 1903 and died aged 73 in 1951 in Greenock.

With regard to your William I must ask a couple of questions. What evidence do you have that he remarried in 1940, to whom and where and under what surname. When did he die and under what surname?

Ellen Julia when she died was of the address 7, Kilburn Street, Litherland, Litherland U.D., Lancashire, England.

The William Crean who died in 1937 was of the address  7,Kilburn Street, Litherland, Litherland U.D., Lancashire, England (Cannot find a GRO registration for this death to determine age)

In the 1939 war register at 7,Kilburn Street, Litherland, Litherland U.D., Lancashire, England lives Richard Crean (son born 1903) and his wife Alice & daughter Mary.

My reasoning for searching for the 8 children of William & Ellen was to again determine if any were born pre 1901 in either Ireland or the UK mainland. Having found all 8 (4 deaths pre 1911) accounted for shows there were not any others.

This really leads me to believe your William died in 1937 at 7 Kilburn Street

SS

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 16 December 23 09:13 GMT (UK) »
In response to the previous post:

William did not and could not have died in 1937, for three reasons: First, he is shown with several of his children on the 1939 register, in Liverpool. Not at the same address as in 1937,  but at 31 Springfield Av. Second, he remarried in 1940, same address as in 1939.Third, the 1937 "burial" for William is an all too typical Ancestry mistake. It is not his burial, it is him buying the burial plot for, and managing the burial for his wife, who died in May 1937.

I know from family knowledge that William remarried. I got this from both a son/grandson in Dublin in the 1990s (can't remember which!), and from an aunt of mine who knew him. In confirmation there is an 1940 GRO marriage registration for his second marriage. I posted it earlier in the thread, but here it is again
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1940/08835/5194611.pdf
I also know from family knowledge that he had a second family, and indeed he did.

Finally, I don't know when he died. No sign of his actual death anywhere!

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 December 23 09:18 GMT (UK) »
I can’t see him in Ireland deaths but could he have died there.
Is there a death or grave for his wife, Dora?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk