Author Topic: Anna Mary WALTERS  (Read 120 times)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anna Mary WALTERS
« on: Friday 15 December 23 12:04 GMT (UK) »
According to numerous census reports, the above person was born in St Albans in 1843. She seems to have settled in the Holloway/Islington area. As far as I can see, she never married and worked as a dress maker. She died in Islington in 1917.

Although I can find Anna/Hannah/ in 1861, 1881, 1891, 1901 and 1911, I can't find her in 1851 or in 1871.

The earliest I can find her is in 1861 in Kingston, Surrey (RG9 455 168 17). She is aged 18 and listed as born St Albans. She is living with an older woman named Ann WALTERS (52), who was born in Ireland. Both are listed as lodgers and there is no indication of their relationship, though I assume they are relatives, possibly mother and daughter.

From other bits and pieces I have picked up, there is a possibility that they are travellers. I also have reasons to believe that she was a Catholic.

As well as filling in the missing census details, I would like to locate her birth/baptism/confirmation.

Any help gratefully received, especially from those with expertise on travellers and/or Catholics.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Anna Mary WALTERS
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 December 23 12:15 GMT (UK) »
If she never married - how does she fit into your FH?  If you are descended from one of her siblings - what info do you have on that sibling re parentage?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anna Mary WALTERS
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 December 23 12:24 GMT (UK) »
She is not one of my ancestors, but was deeply connected to a family that I am descended from. Her name appears frequently linked to the Connelly family, who were travellers.

I hope to find out more about the Connelly's, by finding out more about Anna/Hannah.