Author Topic: Darking of Haverhill  (Read 397 times)

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Darking of Haverhill
« on: Friday 15 December 23 12:12 GMT (UK) »
I am interested (for a rather complicated reason) in JAMES DARKING born in HAVERHILL in or around 1790. James worked as a croupier in the notorious London gambling club, Crockfords. His colleague was my ancestor Henry Page, whose mysterious origins I have been working on for quite some time.
In 1828 one of Henry Page's sons was given the unusual middle name HAVERHILL. If I can get a handle on why this name was chosen, it might give me a clue to unlock more of my ancestor's life details. If any list member has come across any information on James Darking, I'd be very interested, and grateful to be able to share it. I realise that Darking is not an uncommon name in Haverhill.

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Darking of Haverhill
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 December 23 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Marriage;
23 Apr 1816 St Mary, Haverhill
James DARKING to Mary ARCHER
(FreeREG)

Possibly related;
Marriage same Church 12 May 1835 William PAGE, Widower to Elizabeth DARKING

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 December 23 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your contribution, Trish––all details help.

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 December 23 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Just added a little more :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 December 23 13:47 GMT (UK) »
James Darkin bp.13/5/1792 Haverhill, son of Thomas and Mary.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 December 23 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Annette. I'm more and more convinced that this is the Jamaes Darkin who was a feared croupier at the hazard table at Crockfords. I don't have a birth date for my ancestor Henry Page, who in accounts of Crockfords is always named alongside James Darking. There are two versions of Henry's age at his death in 1851: one says 'about 60' and the other 66. Either places him clost to JD's age.
Looking at likely JD deaths––one in 1844 (Camberwell) and one in Risbridge 1855. I'll see if I can find anything further.

I think you would agree that 'Haverhill' is an odd name to give a child, suggesting a connection between Henry Page and the place (or person?) of that name.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 December 23 14:32 GMT (UK) »
I can find no trace of a Henry Haverhill Page born 1828.   Where has this information come from?

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 December 23 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Sorry about the ambiguity: Horace Haverhill Page was born 1828, and christened in December at St James, Westminster, one of the sons of Henry Page whose family lived on Jermyn Street at the time. In the 1841 census the Page family lived in Bury Street, and Horace's name is hard to decipher. In 1851 Horace migrated to South Australia with tow or three of his brothers. The name 'Haverhill' doesn't crop up anywhere else in Page family records.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 December 23 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Elizabeth Darking who married William Page in 1835 was James's daughter bapt 18 June 1816 (born 16th)
William was a weaver who seems to have died  13 oct 1837 Haverhill age 35. he had been married before to Susanna Poole Widow 25.12.1830. He and Elizabeth had one child together before his death William 18.1.1836.Elizabeth went on to have more children James 1840 ,Mary 1843 ,John 1845 and Dick 1848 all as a widow with no father apparent.In 1841 she is living with her parents at Haverjill Burton End.
James 50 labourer,Mary 55 ,James 15 ,Rebecca 10 ,Sarah 5,Elizabeth Page 25 and James 1.

James Darkings death is the one in 1855 ,Burial 23.12.1855 age 72 born 1783 which is a bit out with the baptism you have but I think that's the right one.
William Page's death seems a little out on his burial too as the only baptism I can see is 11 Feb 1810 s of John and Frances Page nee Bye who married at Brinkley 31.7.1809.John is also a weaver.
Grandparents are Henry and Sarah Page nee Crackling married Haverhill 24 Dec 1786.
Children John 1788,,Maria 1797 ,Sarah 1799 ,Mary 1801 and Susan 1805.

As you can see there is a gap 1788-1797.It would fit nicely for you Henry born c 1790.

Any thoughts?

ps Mary Archer was James's second wife ,he was a widower in 1816.He married first Sarah Chapman at Helions Bumpstead 12 Feb 1813 .Groom from Haverhill.son Edward baptised age 3 at Presbyterian Chapel Haverhill 21.7.1816.Sarah buried 25.1.1815 age 26.

Ciderdrinker