Author Topic: Samuel CONNELLY and Susan BURRETT  (Read 202 times)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel CONNELLY and Susan BURRETT
« on: Saturday 16 December 23 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Samuel was born into a travelling family in Leeds in 1854, the son of James CONNELLY and Mary Ann CONNELLY (née BOYDE).

Susan or Susannah BURRETT was born into another travelling family in Tottenham in 1857, the daughter of Henry BURRETT and Lydia BURRETT (née PENFOLD).

They married in October 1874 at St Mary's, Hornsey Rise.

I have the couple together in 1881 in Islington. Sam is 25 and a general dealer. Susan is 24. They have two children: Mary Ann (4) and Samuel (2).

After that I lose track of the couple. There are a few possible workhouse appearances for Samuel, though it is difficult to attribute these to him. One is for Islington in 1885. The other for Westminster in 1904.

As for Susan, there are again possible workhouse appearances: 1881 in Islington and 1904 in Westminster. I am more inclined to believe these entries, as she is described as a street hawker.

There is a possible entry for Susan in the 1911C. She is in Islington Workhouse. She is described as a widow and former street hawker, which fits. However, she is also described as from Co. Louth which is wrong, as she was definitely born in Tottenham.

She pops up again in the 1939 Register living back in Tottenham. This is definitely her, as her date of birth is correct. she is again described as a widow and former street hawker.

Susan dies in Jun 1944, living at the same address as in the 1939 Register.

My first priority is to find the death of Samuel, which is clearly between 1881 and 1939. This could possibly be narrowed down - if the workhouse records are considered correct and we accept the 1991 census for Susan - to 1904 - 1911.

As well as finding Samuel's death, I would like to pin them down for the censuses of 1891, 1901, 1911 and 1921.

Any help in finding Samuel's death and where the couple were for the censuses would be gratefully received.

Hopefully, I have posted this is the correct forum. If people think I have got this wrong, I will re-post in the Middlesex forum.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel CONNELLY and Susan BURRETT
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 December 23 02:53 GMT (UK) »
There is also possible workhouse records for the children at Islington:

Discharged to Shadwell Rd Workhouse 21 Mar 1884
Mary A CONNELLY  7
Samuel                     4

Discharged (to the schools) 24 Sept 1886
M A CONNELY, 9
Samuel              6
Henry                4

Henry - looks like William Henry CONNOLLY birth reg Islington Sept qtr 1882 (1b/235) mmn BERRETT

Mary CONNOLLY  Jun qtr 1877  Islington (1b/239) mmn BERRITT
Samuel CONNOLLY Dec qtr 1879 Islington (1b/250) mmn BERRETT

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 December 23 03:08 GMT (UK) »
There is also a possible Bridget CONNELLY  Sept qtr 1889  Whitechapel (1c/319) mmn BARRETT

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 December 23 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this, the whole family seems to have been in and out of the workhouse. Given their state of health it is somewhat of a surprise to see that Susan survived so long.

Still having difficulty finding a death for Samuel, not helped by the various spellings of both his and Susan's names.