Author Topic: Joseph Modrach marriage 1833 Bohemia ( German language)  (Read 390 times)

Online fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Modrach marriage 1833 Bohemia ( German language)
« on: Saturday 16 December 23 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Please can I have a bit of help deciphering this marriage which took place on 8 Oct 1833 in Königswald now Libouchec Czechia. It is for the former soldier Joseph Modrach who we found on an earlier thread came from
Pitkowiczeck N 56
Aurzino Herrschaft. Kaurimer county.

What does it say after Militär

I can't really make out his late mother Katharina's surname and place of origin or his father Mathias' occupation.

Is Joseph 44 or 49?

On the brides side is her mother Elizabeth Waglin, otherwise I can read the rest of her details

http://vademecum.soalitomerice.cz/vademecum/permalink?xid=09ddd7cea03b9b8d:4e496e4e:12216bae987:-7058&scan=5e26d3dbfc15456390e555ba8d88419d

Thanks
Thanks

Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR

William Thompson violin maker Bishop Auckland
William Thompson jun. Violin maker Leeds

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Berger, Fritsch, Ritschel, Pechanz, Funke, Endesfelder & others from Czechia

Offline Zefiro

• RootsChat Veteran
  • breeze from the west
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Modrach marriage 1833 Bohemia ( German language)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 December 23 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Joseph Modruch beabschiedeter Militärkordons Gemeiner in Königswald N°183. Ehelicher Sohn des Mathias Madruch, Innmanns im Dorfe Pitkowiczek (Pitkovice) N°56, und der verstorbenen Katharina geborne Boleslaw aus Kurim Aurzino Wesser Herrschaft Kaurimer Kreis.

Elisabeth Vaglinn

Online fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 December 23 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Zefiro.

Do you think he was some sort of border or checkpoint guard. I know Gemeiner is the equivalent of a private in rank.
Bulman, DUR
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Offline Zefiro

• RootsChat Veteran
  • breeze from the west
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 December 23 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Zefiro.

Do you think he was some sort of border or checkpoint guard. I know Gemeiner is the equivalent of a private in rank.

I can't tell you if he was some kind of guard or not. I know next to nothing about military ranks and the tasks involved.

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 December 23 10:57 GMT (UK) »
As far as I can see from various documents in German, Militärkordon (Army Cordon) was to do with protection on the borders from disease, a kind of Sanitary Cordon.

Die Cholera wurde bei ihrem ersten Ausbruch in Europa 1830 als eine Art Pest gedeutet, so
dass man sich zunächst mit Sicherungsmaßnahmen, wie sie aus Pestzeiten bekannt waren, zu
schützen suchte. Obwohl keine eindeutigen Beweise für eine hochgradige Ansteckungsfähig-
keit vorlagen, verstärkte Österreich im Herbst 1830 seine Sperrlinien an den russischen
Grenzländern. Auch Preußen, das sich als Grenzland zu Polen besonderer Gefährdung ausge-
setzt sah, legte einen dreifach gesicherten Militärkordon an der Grenze zu Polen an.

Very rough translation:

When it first broke out in Europe in 1830, cholera was interpreted as a kind of plague, so that people initially tried to protect themselves with safety measures, as they were known. Although there was no clear evidence of a high degree of contagiousness, Austria reinforced its cordons at the Russian border countries in the autumn of 1830. Russia, which considered itself to be at particular risk as a border country with Poland, also Prussia, which saw itself at particular risk as a border country to Poland, also set up a triple-secured military cordon on the border with Poland.

From http://archiv.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/volltextserver/104581/dissertation_15_02_10.pdf

Clarkson, Tolladay, Prevost, Killick, Hicks

Online fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 December 23 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks that makes sense. From what I have read, there was relative stability in the Austro Hungarian region after the Napoleonic wars, so they may well have used the Military to try and control the spread of disease. There also seems to have been  smuggling of goods such as tobacco in the region.
My chap moved from Königswald where I can place him in 1815, as he fathered a child,  to Hochelbe in around 1829 where he had another child by a different woman. She died in 1832 and he went back to his first family and finally married the mother in 1833!

I wonder, therefore, if there was Cholera or similar round Hochelbe in the 1830's too?
Bulman, DUR
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 December 23 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Glad to help - you've certainly helped me a lot over the years, so it's good to pay you back just a little!

By autumn of 1830, cholera had made it to Moscow. The spread of the disease temporarily slowed during the winter, but picked up again in spring of 1831, reaching Finland and Poland. It then passed into Hungary and Germany.

The disease subsequently spread throughout Europe, including reaching Great Britain for the first time via the port of Sunderland in late 1831 and London in spring of 1832. Britain enacted several actions to help curb the spread of the disease, including implementing quarantines and establishing local boards of health. There were reported to have been 250,000 cases of cholera and 100,000 deaths in Russia. In 1831, it is estimated that up to 100,000 deaths occurred in Hungary.

Not sure whether Hochelbe was affected or whether the precautionary measures largely spared them.

Sounds awful:
Based on the reports of two English doctors who had observed the epidemic in Saint Petersburg, the board of health published a detailed description of the disease's symptoms and onset:

Giddiness, sick stomach, nervous agitation, intermittent, slow, or small pulse, cramps beginning at the tops of the fingers and toes, and rapidly approaching the trunk, give the first warning. Vomiting or purging, or both these evacuations of a liquid like rice-water or whey, or barley-water, come on; the features become sharp and contracted, the eye sinks, the look is expressive of terror and wildness; the lips, face, neck, hands, and feet, and soon after the thighs, arms, and whole surface assume a leaden, blue, purple, black, or deep brown tint according to the complexion of the individual, varying in shade with the intensity of the attack. The fingers and toes are reduced in size, the skin and soft parts covering them are wrinkled, shrivelled and folded. The nails put on a bluish pearly white; the larger superficial veins are marked by flat lines of a deeper black; the pulse becomes either small as a thread, and scarcely vibrating, or else totally extinct. The skin is deadly cold and often damp, the tongue always moist, often white and loaded, but flabby and chilled like a piece of dead flesh. The voice is nearly gone; the respiration quick, irregular, and imperfectly performed. The patient speaks in a whisper. He struggles for breath, and often lays his hand on his heart to point out the seat of his distress. Sometimes there are rigid spasms of the legs, thighs, and loins. The secretion of urine is totally suspended; vomiting and purgings, which are far from being the most important or dangerous symptoms, and which in a very great number of cases of the disease, have not been profuse, or have been arrested by medicine early in the attack, succeed. It is evident that the most urgent and peculiar symptom of this disease is the sudden depression of the vital powers: proved by the diminished action of the heart, the coldness of the surface and extremities, and the stagnant state of the whole circulation.
Clarkson, Tolladay, Prevost, Killick, Hicks

Online fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 December 23 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Sounds awful. We are lucky to live now and not back then, when there was no knowledge about how disease spread. It took until later in the 19th century and the work of Lister and Pasteur before surgical instruments were sanitized and doctors started to wash their hands between patients too.  :(
Bulman, DUR
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 December 23 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi fiddlerslass,

What info do you have on his move to Hochelbe? Do you mean the general area around the Elbe near Hamburg? (I can't find an actual place with that name.)

Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd