Author Topic: Inheritance query - advice please  (Read 389 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Inheritance query - advice please
« on: Saturday 16 December 23 23:30 GMT (UK) »
This is the scenario

Widowed mother had 2 children.  She died October 2022.  Her Will left her flat & assets to her unmarried daughter who lived with her

May 2023 her only son died.  No will but he was divorced with 3 adult children & grandchildren

December 2023 unmarried daughter found dead.  No will found at the moment.  Owned her flat under the terms of her mothers will & has a substantial bank account

Question

If no will is found - am I right in saying that her late brothers 3 children inherit her entire estate?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Inheritance query - advice please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 December 23 23:54 GMT (UK) »
I think you are right.

I haven't read this web page but I see that the citizens advice bureau has an article on Wills.

url link

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01sux/
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 December 23 23:58 GMT (UK) »
https://www.gov.uk/inherits-someone-dies-without-will is a good source

If all three of the brother's children are living, I think it goes to them in thirds.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 December 23 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Stepped guide here might also help, Carole. In working through it I'd start with the unmarried daughter rather than the widowed mother. Seems to back up your thoughts.
Peter
https://www.gov.uk/inherits-someone-dies-without-will

Sorry, jorose, or is great minds :)
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 December 23 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everybody.  This confirms the info I have given to my friend.  It is her niece who has died.   Sadly - she had been dead for some time before she was found so the family are only just getting details via the police & coroner.
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 December 23 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Ok, unmarried, no children so the order is parents first, siblings of the full blood next, with the specific  statement Children of a pre deceased sibling inherit their late parents share.

I’d better be right as that is how I applied it.

Mike

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 December 23 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mazi

I understand the flat was searched yesterday but no will was found.  However - the solicitor who drew up her mothers will is being contacted tomorrow in case they are holding a will for the daughter.