Author Topic: Agnes and James Hamilton Death Records -- probably in Motherwell  (Read 436 times)

Offline CNRINSPECTOR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Agnes and James Hamilton Death Records -- probably in Motherwell
« on: Sunday 17 December 23 14:43 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for the date of death of Agnes Hamilton.  She was living at 8 Cassels Street, Motherwell in the 1950's and I believe she died between 1958 and 1960 at the age of about 98.  At the time she was living with her daughter and her son-in-law, Ellen and Donald MacMillan.  Ellen and Donald both died in December 1960.

Also, her son, James was living at 8 Cassels street in 1966.  He was 72 at the time.  I am interested in finding out when he died.  His wife, Minnie, died November 1, 1963.  James and Minnie were living in Perth at the time.

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes and James Hamilton Death Records -- probably in Motherwell
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 December 23 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Not seeing much in SP. This is the best fit....
SURNAME HAMILTON.   FORENAME AGNES
AGE AT DEATH 91
MOTHER'S MAIDEN NAME
GENDER F.   YEAR 1960
REF 639 / 190.    RD NAME DALZIEL
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 December 23 14:16 GMT (UK) »
To find their actual dates of death you would have to download their respective death certs from www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk which is a pay per view site

The index is free to search so you can search for Ellen & Donalds deaths.  If they also both died in 1960 then that would mean all 3 family members died the same year

There are 10 James Hamilton deaths in Lanark between 1966-1980 but only 2 in Motherwell - each with a second christian name

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 December 23 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Was her husband Robert Hamilton?  Was she born 1856 in Douglas & was her maiden name Todd & her mmn Thorburn
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CNRINSPECTOR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 December 23 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the information.  I do not believe the death information on Agnes Hamilton is the one I'm looking for as my Agnes Hamilton died about 2 years before Ellen and Donald MacMillan, which would make it about 1958.  Also, the name of Agnes' husband was Hugh, and he died on January 11, 1898.

I found obituaries in the Motherwell Times recording Donald MacMillan's death at age 79 on December 4 1960.  His year of birth would be about 1881.  His wife, Ellen MacMillan, died 8 days later.  The obituary records her death on December 12, 1960 and living at 8 Cassels Street, Motherwell.

I have a letter from James Hamilton in which he states his wife, Minnie, died November 1, 1963 and they were married August 8, 1930.  In 1966 he was living at 8 Cassels Street, Motherwell, with David MacMillan (son of Ellen and Donald) and his daughter, Barbara.

I have found several newspaper records of Agnes Hamilton going back to 1909 but cannot find a record of her death.  James Hamilton was her third son and was born February 1, 1894.  He lived in Aberdeen in the 1930's and was president of the Torry Bowling Club.  He and Minnie moved to Perth in 1942.  I have not been able to find any death record for either James or Minnie.

Thanks again for your assistance. 

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 December 23 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Based on the details in opening post.

Agnes Hamilton nee' Watson was born 2nd July 1861.

Married Hugh Hamilton (1855-1898) 29th September 1882

Daughter Ellen born

HAMILTON
ELLEN
WATSON
F
647 / 917
HAMILTON

Agnes died 4th October 1954 aged 93. Widow of Hugh Hamilton(coal merchant). Father William Watson (coalminer-deceased) & Helen Watson nee' Anderson-deceased. Witness to death Ellen McMillan-daughter

place of death Cassell Street, Motherwell

SS

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline CNRINSPECTOR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 December 23 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  This very helpful.  Best Wishes.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 December 23 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Her death notice is in the Motherwell Times of 8 October 1954 ( It is hard to read all of it because of a fold in the newspaper - it is on page 19 if you have to scroll to locate it).

"Hamilton At the residence of her son in law Donald MacMillan, 8 Cassels Street, Motherwell, on October 4, 1954, Agnes Watson Hamilton (nurse) in her _ year, beloved wife of the late Hugh Hamilton and mother of Nurse MacMillan".

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)