Author Topic: Maps  (Read 795 times)

Online MollyC

• RootsChat Member
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
Re: Maps
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 20 December 23 17:14 GMT (UK) »
The online index is for three scales, house numbers are on the 1:2500 series.

To expand on this, in the National Library of Scotland Map Finder the index is named
"1:1,250 to 1:10,560, 1944-1972"  which comprises:

1:1,250 so-called "50 inch" maps, only published for urban areas
1:2,500 "25 inch" maps, all areas except mountain & moorland
1:10,560, true 6-inch maps, which were enlarged to 1:10,000 from about 1972 onwards

The last group has been loaded across the whole country.
The other groups should be available from local libraries.  Not all house numbers are shown, but there are sufficient to interpolate the rest.

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 20 December 23 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for all the extra suggestions and information. It will certainly help keep me occupied!

Brie

Online MollyC

• RootsChat Member
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 20 December 23 19:36 GMT (UK) »
deleted

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 22 December 23 10:17 GMT (UK) »
...and they've been busy adding, over the last few weeks, more material to its online collection of maps covering the island of Ireland.
Many thanks for this lead, K.  My only direct connection with Ireland is a gt-grandmother born in Dungarvan, but the absence of many 19-C Irish records have made these recent map additions more than interesting.  My gt-grandfather seems to have spent his later years in various rural spots NE of Dungarvan, which these maps have helped me to locate.

One very useful feature on the 6-inch maps - most of which were surveyed in the early 1840s, just before the famine and emigrations - is the ability to enter a place-name for the map to instantly take you there.  Most useful at the large scale, where text can only be read after zooming close in - tho there are plenty of duplicates  :D.

I have also found that several dwellings recorded with my ancestors are now listed on Ireland's Historic Buildings map, so I can now pinpoint them on the ground too !  :)
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young