Author Topic: The end of the road  (Read 695 times)

Offline Marianthompson47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The end of the road
« on: Tuesday 19 December 23 19:05 GMT (UK) »
I took out an Ancestry subscription last year and built my family tree.
At the same time, I invested in a DNA Kit and downloaded it, finding cousins I knew nothing about.

It was easy building my father's side of the tree but because my mother's mother came from Poland, then under Prussian flagship (I think), I came to a brutal stop. I did however find a birth certificate in Russian for my great grandmother.

Now fed up with stalling and paying Ancestry obscene amounts of money, I have decided to cancel my subscription.
I will probably lose all the certificates I found on line, together with my tree.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: The end of the road
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 December 23 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Are you aware that there is a very good offer on ancestry subscriptions
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 December 23 19:48 GMT (UK) »
You can download a gedcom of your tree and put it into a genealogy programme

You would have to go through and download all the images you have saved there individually

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 December 23 21:38 GMT (UK) »
I took out an Ancestry subscription last year and built my family tree.
At the same time, I invested in a DNA Kit and downloaded it, finding cousins I knew nothing about.

It was easy building my father's side of the tree but because my mother's mother came from Poland, then under Prussian flagship (I think), I came to a brutal stop. I did however find a birth certificate in Russian for my great grandmother.

Now fed up with stalling and paying Ancestry obscene amounts of money, I have decided to cancel my subscription.
I will probably lose all the certificates I found on line, together with my tree.

You will only lose certificates, etc. if you only link to them via Ancestry. You should always download a copy to your own computer, and then upload back to your Ancestry tree as media attached to the person of interest. That way, you dom't lose them when a subscription lapses.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 December 23 22:04 GMT (UK) »
"I will probably lose all the certificates I found on line"

Why haven't you downloaded them?
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 December 23 22:15 GMT (UK) »
You can still work on your tree even without a subscription.
But you won't see any images that comes from Ancestry.

I don't have a sub, but I have 12 trees!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 December 23 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Transfer the tree to a program on your own computer. Download all the relevant documents and images and store them locally. Then you will be independent of any subscription sites.

I decided right at the start that I wasn't going to rely on any remote subscription genealogy sites as a repository for my main tree. I do upload copies from my computer to those sites at regular intervals to take advantage of hints and DNA matching, but they are bare bones Gedcom files with no sources or documents/images attached. Everything of importance is on my own PC and backed up on a home NAS and in the cloud.
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

Offline Drayke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 December 23 01:24 GMT (UK) »
If you cancel your subscription they now have an option to pay AUD$7.95/month to just keep access to the records you have saved in your tree. Whilst it means you cant view new records with that amount, it does allow you to view any certificates or other records you have saved to your tree.

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 December 23 07:16 GMT (UK) »
If you buy either Roots Magic or Family Tree Maker they will both download your full tree including certificates, media, images etc when you start a new project and select download.

It is far better doing it this was than importing a Gedcom file into a programme.

What you could do to checkout software is download the free Roots Magic Essentials and import a Gedcom then you will have your tree for free plus you can then see what you get with using a Gedcom.

BTW
£89.99 for a Worldwide subscription is what I pay and is hardly excessive.  Search this forum for links and procedures.