Author Topic: Death by Poison Covered Up?  (Read 1134 times)

Offline Happy Searcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Death by Poison Covered Up?
« on: Wednesday 20 December 23 11:14 GMT (UK) »
I've admitted defeat on this and am confident that you fantastic researchers will be able to help.

Christina Whitfield I'Anson was born 1892 in Leeds.  In 1901 she was growing up with her family at the Talbot Hotel in Wednesbury, Staffordshire.  In 1905 her mother [Christiana] elopes to new Zealand with her lover [Isaiah Oldbury] probably with the kids in tow, Christina likely among them but I've no evidence of this.  Another researcher tells me they were in Tasmania by 1909 going under the name 'North'.  By this time Christina's dad is suing for divorce and damages, hence the pseudonym.  By 1911 Christina's mum has ditched Oldbury and adopted a new name - 'Maydwell' and they are in Sea Lake, Victoria where mum runs a Coffee Palace.

According to descendants of the family the tale is told that Christina was working away, got pregnant and wanted to come home to her mother but mum by now is a respectable Deaconess and said 'no'.  Christina dies by taking poison but there are no records cos mum pulls strings to get it covered up.  I think this would be between 1911 and 1914.

What do you think?  Any help with any aspect of this would be massively appreciated.  Happy Christmas!
Ashert, Donkin, Stoker, Stogdale

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Death by Poison Covered Up?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 December 23 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Lengthy newspaper article - Sheffield Daily Telegraph, 30th July 1909 about the divorce etc, presumably you have a copy of that
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 December 23 12:12 GMT (UK) »
Lengthy newspaper article - Sheffield Daily Telegraph, 30th July 1909 about the divorce etc, presumably you have a copy of that
Could you post a link as it could be useful to others who are helping to find more information.
Regards
Jennaya

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 December 23 12:17 GMT (UK) »
https://prov.vic.gov.au/archive/C899E8DA-F1C2-11E9-AE98-99A3A15B6BF1?image=1
1913/401 Christina Vernon: Inquest
Christina Vernon… Lysol Poisoning… self administered… aged about 20 years… General Servant… deceased is said to come from Sea Lake where her mother resides… her mothers name is Madewell…

Offline Happy Searcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 December 23 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Wow thank you so much.  I have the article about the divorce.  The Christine Vernon thing is news to me.  That's my Christmas present received.  :)
Ashert, Donkin, Stoker, Stogdale

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 December 23 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Could you post a link as it could be useful to others who are helping to find more information.
Regards
Jennaya

Link would only take you to BNA registration page.  It is the first result if you search Christina Ianson here https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/advanced
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 December 23 12:54 GMT (UK) »

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 December 23 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Is this her death?…  it doesn’t help when vic bdm has age 46  ::)
2696 / 1913
Family name: VERNON
Given name(s) Ctina
Place of event: Melb E, Australia
Mother's name: Unknown
Father's Name: Unknown