Author Topic: Fleshing out the tree  (Read 576 times)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: Fleshing out the tree
« Reply #9 on: Friday 29 December 23 17:59 GMT (UK) »
One tip is, maybe a bit time consuming for rural villages, is to look up an ancestor in the census and research the neighbours as well, and/or see how far away your ancestor's cottage or house/farm is away from a nearby establishment such as the local pub or shop. Often houses in villages were not numbered but some may have been named, ie "Oak Cottage", and it can be harder to try to find out where in the village the house was. It is easier in towns and cities due to houses being numbered more often, and the street name.

If you see an ancestor working in service for a shopkeeper as opposed to a huge manor house, have a gander for info on the shopkeeper employer. I have virtually researched my ggggrandmothers 1861 employer.

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 December 23 18:13 GMT (UK) »
  How right you are about the difficulty of researching villages! I am currently writing up a talk on this village in the 1930s - a small place which I know very well, and I still can't work out where some of the people lived. Right up to the 1921 census, some of them still gave their address as " The Street" or even just the village name. (And the schedule numbers are pretty random as well.)
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 29 December 23 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Doing a Google book search is also worthwhile.  Surprisingly, even very inconsequential people can turn up in books.  I found a letter to the editor of a children's magazine written in 1917 by a boy who would have been my uncle except that he died just two years later, aged eleven.  That letter, about native fishing methods, gives at least a little insight into what interested him and it's really all I know about his short life.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 29 December 23 19:18 GMT (UK) »
  How right you are about the difficulty of researching villages! I am currently writing up a talk on this village in the 1930s - a small place which I know very well, and I still can't work out where some of the people lived. Right up to the 1921 census, some of them still gave their address as " The Street" or even just the village name. (And the schedule numbers are pretty random as well.)

I have deduced where the house my ancestors lived at in Bletchingdon, Oxfordshire, as it was enumerated as being about 2 doors down from the local pub in 1851. I have been to the village myself and it is very quaint and my ancestral cottage seems to be in a row of still extant ones.

Also researching travel routes is good, and how long a journey from say, Norwich in Norfolk to Chelmsford in Essex took in 1800, my estimate is a couple of days as many horse and carts could not travel overnight and horses had to rest and horses had to change at the inns. A journey by sea from Great Yarmouth, Norfolk to Custom House in London in 1800 perhaps took 3 or 4 days, at a guess, with the ship/boat having to moor up overnight at various spots on the way, for example, Southwold, Felixstowe or Maldon.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain