Author Topic: Richard Wealing - m Susannah Cullum (or Parrott & Fisher) Berks  (Read 192 times)

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Richard Wealing - m Susannah Cullum (or Parrott & Fisher) Berks
« on: Thursday 21 December 23 05:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi all and greetings for xmas.

I have a problem I hope someone can help un-tangle. In my tree I have a Susannah Fisher who is linked to Richard Parrott but when they married in 1806 in Nth Moreton, Berks,  Richard is recorded as Wealing & Susannah as Cullum which is why the children have the Wealing name.  Seven (7) children are  baptised there  (1807,10,12,14,16,19,21)  They then move to Brightwalton, Berks and have another 3 children but with the surname of Parrott - parents being Richard & Susan.
but why the change in surnames in Brightwalton?

In following up the marriages of some of the dtrs they are all recorded as  "Parrott" and born in Nth Moreton
under the "Wealing" name.

Is anyone able to offer some reason why change in names, please?

I have found a burial for a Richard Parrott (alias Wayling) 1885 in Brightwalton so there must be some past history as to why the name changes. No Wealing burials in either parish (Nth.Moreton or Brightwalton)

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Wealing - m Susannah Cullum (or Parrott & Fisher) Berks
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 December 23 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello I have this family in my tree and worked out why they use Parrott and Wealing (and variants) !
I'll do it chronologically going forward
Mary Ballard married Robert Wayling on 19 June 1753 at Stanford in the Vale. They had 2 daughters Ann (1753) and Elizabeth (1756).
Richard presumably died (can't find burial), because Mary married Richard Parrott on 17 Apr 1762 at S-i-V. Between these two marriages she had a son John baptised  08 Jun 1760 at Fawley.  John seems to use both surnames, but don't know which man was his father (or could be a 3rd party). John married Ann Snell at Brightwalton on 26 Dec 1784 and was buried on Bef. 25 Jul 1828 at BW.
John and Ann had children Richard 1785, Amy 1787, John 1790 and Thomas 1793, William 1796, Charles 1798, Mary Ann 1800, Isaac 1803 and Harriot 1805.
It was Richard (who carried on using both aurnames) who married Susannah Cullum.
I hadn't followed up on Susannah, I seem to remember seeing her on a census with her rellies, but don't seem to have recorded it on my tree.
One of Richard and Susanna's daughters (Hannah) married John Eltham - hence my interest. Another daughter Catherine married David Blackford
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 December 23 08:46 GMT (UK) »
The 1885 burial is of Richard and Susannah's son Richard bapt 29 July 1821. He married Sarah Avery in 1856
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 December 23 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi LizzieL,

Thank you for replying and I'm sorry its late formy reply. Its quite a maze trying to un-tangle this family and also the Blackford-Marshall families. As you say I can't find a burial for Robert Wayling either.

In case you are interested, their marriage in 1762 Stanford in the  Vale was by licence - which reads;
Robert Wayling, Gt,Fawley, Berks to
Mary Ballard, sp, of Shellingford, Berks
B/Man; Martin King. Shellingford
Dated; Stanford in the Vale - 19-6-1753

I did not find a Mary Ballard in Shellingford other than her marriage recorded there but endorsed (Stanford in the Vale Register). The entry in the Shellingford register indicated Robert was of Faringdon but again I see no entry for him.

When Mary married Richard Parrott in 1762 it was in Fawley - St.Mary again by licence which reads;
Richard Parrott, Widower, Labourer, Stanford, Berks to
Mary Ballard, widow, Fawley, Berks
B/Man; Thomas Alloway, Yeo, Fawley.
Dated; 26-4-1762
Not sure why she didn't  marry under her married name of Wayling.

I have found the 3 children of Robert & Mary (includes John but no father recorded) and have followed the John Parrott/Ann Snell family. Hannah Parrott - m - John Elton (Eltham).  John was bapt. 10-4-1808 West Challow and they had at least 6 children although I believe Adelaide (bapt. 28-6-1835 B/Walton was illegitimate)

Regarding the marriage of Susannah. I cannot find an entry of Susannah Fisher to Richard Parrott (als Wealing) but there is an entry of Richard Wealing, bac to Susannah Cullum 6-10-1806 Nth Moreton.  Not sure where Susan Fisher fits in to the mix but have found a baptism for Susannah Cullum 1784 Harwell.(d/o John & Sophia) Going by naming routines I'm more inclined to believe Susannah Cullum is the correct wife of Richard Wayling.

Have just found a marriage of Susanna's  parents - John Cullum to Sophia Bannister 14-1-1782 Ardington. Rich'd & Susan's  dtr Sophia married George Tilbury and their son goes by the name of George Bannister Tilbury so Im think I will delete the "Fisher" name.

Wishing a merry & happy xmas

Alan
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 December 23 09:08 GMT (UK) »

When Mary married Richard Parrott in 1762 it was in Fawley - St.Mary again by licence which reads;
Richard Parrott, Widower, Labourer, Stanford, Berks to
Mary Ballard, widow, Fawley, Berks
B/Man; Thomas Alloway, Yeo, Fawley.
Dated; 26-4-1762
Not sure why she didn't  marry under her married name of Wayling.

I was wondering that too. Maybe Robert left her and this was a bigamous marriage and she used her maiden name to try and hide it. Also licence would mean that public Banns would not be read. I hadn't found any trace of Ann and Elizabeth Wayling (daughters of Robert and Mary) after their baptisms, but maybe they were known as Ballards or later Parrotts.

I have found the 3 children of Robert & Mary (includes John but no father recorded) and have followed the John Parrott/Ann Snell family. Hannah Parrott - m - John Elton (Eltham).  John was bapt. 10-4-1808 West Challow and they had at least 6 children although I believe Adelaide (bapt. 28-6-1835 B/Walton was illegitimate)

I don't believe Adelaide was the daughter of John Eltham. He had been previously married to Harriet Preater (m 30 Oct 1831 Wantage). They had two children Henry bapt 18 May 1834 and Ann bapt 22 Apr 1836 both in Wantage. Adelaide was bapt Bef. 28 Jun 1835 in Brightwalton (between the two Eltham children). Harriet was buried on 12 Apr 1836 - 10 days before her daughter Ann's baptism, so looks like she died as a result of complications of childbirth. Ann didn't survive long, she was buried on 04 Jun 1836. In 1841 John was with his new wife, their daughter Susannah, her daughter Adelaide, her father Richard and her siblings Richard and Catherine were in Brightwalton. John's son Henry was with his paternal grandparents Robert and Mary (nee Hawkins) Eltham in West Challow. (After that Henry seems to have been abducted by aliens  ;D ). Richard Parrott / Wealing snr's wife Susanna was in North Moreton with a Banister family, who I think must be her mother's relatives. Here she is a Wealing. So same patters - Wealing in N Moreton, Parrott in Brightwalton.

Hope this makes sense
And a happy Christmas to you too.
If these Parrots / Wealings are your relatives, we must be related by marriage in some way

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 December 23 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Just a quick reply;
I've just realised that the baptism of John Elton in West Challow does not show in the transcripts I have from the Oxon FHS (CD OXF-WAN02)
I was using the image from Anc...y and their FHL Film Number 88250 as the source.

The East Challow records include those from West Challow till 1852 and the former was a chapelry of Letcombe Regis. As a result I have searched these records with out success in finding John Elton's baptism so it would seem there are some other records around - Bishop Transcripts!! for Anc...y to film.

Alan
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 December 23 11:29 GMT (UK) »
This was a line I researched back in the 1980s, I wasn't good at recording sources in those days
I think I got John's baptism from the IGI and also those of his siblings baptised before 1813. The later siblings baptisms were from a letter I received from the Vicar of West Challow because he was still using the register started in 1813, so it hadn't been deposited in the record office.