Author Topic: Ancestry - subscription needed to see shared matches  (Read 1572 times)

Offline whoamitoday

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestry - subscription needed to see shared matches
« on: Thursday 21 December 23 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Just a heads up that Ancestry will be making changes soon requiring a subscription in order to view shared DNA matches.

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry - subscription needed to see shared matches
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 December 23 08:50 GMT (UK) »
On there website there is….

*Some DNA features may require an Ancestry subscription

Offline BristolClark

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 December 23 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Awesome news! Now there will be even more potential cousins not bothering to investigate their ancestry beyond what the DNA test states. What a great move by Ancestry. I'm sure it won't be negative at all.

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 December 23 12:04 GMT (UK) »
That has got to impact on the generally accepted advice to test with Ancestry first. Bound to drive people towards the other sites so less new matches.

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 December 23 16:54 GMT (UK) »
That has got to impact on the generally accepted advice to test with Ancestry first. Bound to drive people towards the other sites so less new matches.

The test with Ancestry advice that I give is to fellow researchers into Family History, it is to the very people who are actively researching their family lines.

If Joe Public wants to know their Ethnicity and Health Traits then other testing companies offer far better VFM than Ancestry.  The fact that Ancestry ‘s Ethnicity results will be different to those of My Heritage is irrelevant as the DNA tester is only interested in the aspects that I quote.  Ethnicity known, job done, time to park it and get on with other activities.

As it is with Ancestry the vast majority of those submitting a DNA sample seem to be not interested in taking the results further.

Ancestry seems to be positioning itself to attract those who just want Ethnicity results and the past availability of viewing Matches is a lost revenue stream to them.

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 December 23 08:44 GMT (UK) »
I see this as part of the ongoing fallout from the 23&Me data breach and other platforms' processes to protect their users. Unfortunately it is going to have a negative impact to some extent, but Ancestry probably feel this is necessary to protect their user data and also to protect themselves from possible future litigation. It's the world we live in :(
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 December 23 09:30 GMT (UK) »
I’m probably alone, but I haven’t been too impressed with Ancestry so far, and these sorts of limitations/restrictions don’t help.

I expect it is a money grab to compel anyone with even a small interest in their DNA to take up a subscription. I’m not sure it will work, as their incessant advertising seems to solely push the ethnicity component, so lack of interest or replies to messages probably shouldn’t be a surprise.

People who only want to know their “ethnicity” won’t be interested in a subscription.

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 December 23 11:14 GMT (UK) »
I see this as part of the ongoing fallout from the 23&Me data breach and other platforms' processes to protect their users.

Interesting point, Phil57. I had not thought of that as a possible reason. If that is their objective then it is a own goal. How many are going to test with Ancestry when the other companies offer a DNA subscription either free or at a nominal sum? A change in their T&C would prevent any litigation concerns.

Offline Petros

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 December 23 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Maybe Ancestry's owners, the Blackstone Group, think they could increase their revenues. I've avoided  having an Ancestry sub but it will make tracing DNA contacts difficult if trees and common ancestors need a sub. And what about Thrulines?