Author Topic: Ancestry - subscription needed to see shared matches  (Read 1571 times)

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry - subscription needed to see shared matches
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 December 23 12:35 GMT (UK) »
I have a sub  - world wide one and paid by direct debit.
Cannot access the site via the link on the computer,
I have to do the two step verification which is painful as the phone can't always pick up their message with the code.
I also am being asked to upgrade my membership, what for??? 

I don't need all this extra rubbish of ethnicity etc. fills up a page which Ii cannot down load easily.

Country area in Australia no NBN. UGH >:(

Essnell.

Offline aussieBen

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 December 23 01:17 GMT (UK) »
That change basically renders the Ancestry DNA test useless without a subscription.  For anyone with more than a desire to see their ethnicity estimates the MyHeritage test is much better value.  Hopefully they won't go on a similar grifting exercise.  For existing tests the upload to MyHeritage and the unlock fee to use their tools would easily be more valuable than what Ancestry are putting on the table.  Nice way for Ancestry to shoot themselves in the foot.  Also, some people get interested in their tree when they can see who matches who.  This basically slaps those people down. I've recommended Ancestry DNA tests to people in the past.  That was obviously a mistake I won't make again.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 December 23 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Further to my reply @ #6 where I mentioned that Ancestry were solely promoting the ethnicity aspect of the DNA test …. Last night (on commercial TV) I saw a new ad which didn’t focus on the ethnicity, but rather “building” your tree. (they have had these ads in the past for the subscription bit this was for the DNA test).

You would like to think that they will be transparent and add “Subscription required to see DNA matches” or whatever limitations they introduce, in their marketing spiel to make it very clear before purchase. It’s too late for others who have already tested or purchased a test as a Christmas gift.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 December 23 22:18 GMT (UK) »

Things seem to be changing on my Ancestry feed…
This is usually an indication that changes are afoot!

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 26 December 23 23:27 GMT (UK) »

Things seem to be changing on my Ancestry feed…
This is usually an indication that changes are afoot!

Romilly.

What on earth is “My Ancestry Feed BETA” all about? Mine is full of irrelvant rubbish I don’t want. Numerous people I have never heard of and their “community trees”? What? A quiz to guess how many children one of the ancestors, unrelated to me, but in the tree of one of my contacts’ trees has? Why send this to me? What is this for? All fluff, nonsense and distracts from relevant family history.

Offline klewis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 December 23 08:55 GMT (UK) »
I wish Ancestry would require anyone who wants to use 'bonus features', e.g. shared matches, for free to have a linked tree with more than 3 non-private ancestors!

Kathryn :)
Surname interests: Bourne, Brown, Bryan, Dagnall/Dagnell, Eades, Farn, Hipwell, Holtom, Miller/Milner, Owen, Patchett/Paget, Shuttleworth, Simson/Simpson, South, Statham, Tandy
Place interests:Bedworth, Birmingham, Brailes, Coleshill, Coventry, Curdworth, Deritend, Edgbaston, Hampton Lucy, Kenilworth, Kingsbury, Lea Marston, Minworth, Rugby, Snitterfield, Tredington, Catthorpe, Fazeley, Handsworth, Tamworth, Denaby

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 27 December 23 17:36 GMT (UK) »

I keep getting’New Features’ popping up on Ancestry.

I’m assuming that the fees that they mention are in addition to having Subs?

This is one:

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 27 December 23 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Romilly, I wonder if they are introducing subs to give access to specific features …. I may be imagining it, but this sort of rings a bell - I’m wondering if it has been mooted in the past?

So if you want to see matches, it will cost $/£X, if you want to see other’s trees it will cost $/£x, same for Thrulines … etc etc. They will market it as givng you more choices - only pay for, the features you want etc but in reality it will be a way for them to make more money.

I expect any of this will be on top of the usual annual subscriptions.

Added: I like your idea Kathryn, but I doubt they will offer anything without there being an additional cost involved.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 28 December 23 01:38 GMT (UK) »
I don't bother with Ancestry or My Heritage hot matches as they are mainly census and official bmd INDEXES which are only produced once a month and I've probably got the full dates for the birth/baptisms, marriages and deaths

As my ancestors only lived in the UK I don't really appreciate Ancestry informing me that I've got bmd matches in the USA, when I don't have any family there.

"Hello Rena",

We have Hot Matches for you:
Soo in Timbucktoo was born same year as your Sue in Scotland.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke