Author Topic: Cause of Death  (Read 220 times)

Offline lpeake

• RootsChat Extra
  • Never forget the ancestors who shaped us
    • View Profile
Cause of Death
« on: Thursday 21 December 23 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My ancestors moved from Ireland to Scotland and I am trying to find ways of tracing where in Ireland my Irish ancestors came from.

In hope that a place-name may be given in birth, marriage or death certificates, I turned to the ScotlandsPeople website but so far I have had no luck.

However, in searching the death records I came across the attached for Henry McKeating.

I believe the first column reads "1868 October Twenty Sixth or Twenty Seventh on road opposite ??? to Railway Station, Girvan" I can't decipher what is written after "opposite" and before "to Railway Station".

Columns 2, 3 and 4 are not a problem but I cannot read the actual cause of death. The best I can make out is "expressive" but that is a pure guess and doesn't seem right.

I'm hoping someone with a better grasp of this style of handwriting can help me out.
Many thanks
Clements, Delve, Effer, Hex, Johnston, McKeating, Nockton, Peake, Raymont, Stanley, Westwell & Wheller

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Cause of Death
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 December 23 15:08 GMT (UK) »

I believe the first column reads "1868 October Twenty Sixth or Twenty Seventh on road opposite ??? to Railway Station, Girvan" I can't decipher what is written after "opposite" and before "to Railway Station".

opposite or near to
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 December 23 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Possibly "Excessive Drinking and Exposure"
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hollander

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 December 23 09:51 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Shaun J.
The 'drinking' is hyphenated, as it carries on to the line below.
As regards the first column I think it reads 'opposite or near to railway station'.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk