Author Topic: 16 year old Irish Imigrant to America  (Read 436 times)

Offline Arnside98

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
16 year old Irish Imigrant to America
« on: Thursday 21 December 23 20:06 GMT (UK) »
I have the arriving passenger documents for someone I am trying to trace. Owen Connolly from Ireland age 16 was on a ship from Liverpool to New York 18th May 1836.

I can’t see any obvious relatives on the shipping manifest.  Would it be unusual to be 16 and cross the Atlantic on your own? I don’t know that he had relatives already there. I am not sure where in Ireland he is from. I know that he married Mary Kinlan and his family from there. 

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: 16 year old Irish Imigrant to America
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 December 23 20:26 GMT (UK) »
I have the arriving passenger documents for someone I am trying to trace. Owen Connolly from Ireland age 16 was on a ship from Liverpool to New York 18th May 1836.

I can’t see any obvious relatives on the shipping manifest.  Would it be unusual to be 16 and cross the Atlantic on your own? I don’t know that he had relatives already there.  I am not sure where in Ireland he is from. I know that he married Mary Kinlan and his family from there.

I have an example from the 1880s where dad went over alone first, and then rest of family went over in dribs and drabs afterwards, including a 15/16 year old son, on his own. Verifiably that age. So certainly could happen.  [Poor fellow made it safely all the way from Wexford to Chicago, only to promptly die in an accident].

In addition, though, ages back then could often be quite unreliable.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Arnside98

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 December 23 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. I might see if there are any others in the same town in NY. Connolly changed to Conley and it’s not an unusual name. I have considered that he was older. I have a Great Aunt that sent to Canada as a house child so wondered if there was any reason a child would be sent to America. Hard to imagine a 16 + year old doing that journey alone in 1836!

Offline frostyknight

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 December 23 12:37 GMT (UK) »
I've a few people in my tree who travelled alone to America at 16 years old. So it's quite possible.