Author Topic: Gravestone deciphering.  (Read 999 times)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Gravestone deciphering.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 December 23 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Mostly Not Interred
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 December 23 14:10 GMT (UK) »
You say he was the incumbent, so I checked an old edition of Crockford's Clerical Directory to see if it was among the abbreviations used there. It wasn't - the nearest was M.M. for Military Medal.

If you can give us his name, maybe we could find something in his career that it might relate to.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 December 23 14:24 GMT (UK) »
I've just finished scrolling down the listing that I referred to and the only MNI that is showing is

Member of the Nautical Institute    MNI

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 December 23 14:25 GMT (UK) »
... but it can't be that as it was founded in 1971!
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Borley Manor

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 December 23 15:27 GMT (UK) »
I must admit to having lost the actual gravestone now. I know more or less where it is, it is just the narrowing it down. I have been back walking the dog two or three times over the seasons holidays, all to no avail. It is a well orderly cemetery, so looking it up should be easy, but.....!!!

This is purely a bit of self indulgence really, but it piqued my interest, now I am embarrassed. Thanks all who have replied, but I now need to re-find the stone, write the details down and go from there. This now becomes an obsession to the extent that I am wearing the poor dogs legs down. ;D
Seward (Linc'shire) (W. London)
Stainer  (Dorset)
Harker  (Cumbria)