Author Topic: White Family Scotland  (Read 146 times)

Offline Paisley Al

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
White Family Scotland
« on: Friday 22 December 23 07:32 GMT (UK) »
Am searching for information re residence of Matthew Gemmell and Mary Glendenning (nee Jeffrey) White who moved from Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland, to Prestongrange Estate (now the Club House of Musselburgh Golf Club), Prestonpans, East Lothian, between 1917 and 1921. They had their 8th and child there in December, 1921.  I've been told they lived in a flat above the stables but no other information is available.  I've looked at everything I can find online - no success.  The stables, along with offices, are mentioned in a couple of places but no details other than they were designed by W.H. Playfair, Architect, and built in 1845. I would love to have more information, such as plans, where situated on the property, etc., and hopefully a picture.  😄  Over a few years now I've printed off lots of information and pictures about Prestongrange but haven't been able to find anything re the stables.  My last effort was just today!  Mary and the children left there in 1925 to emigrate to Sydney, Australia.  Information about Matthew after 1925 is sparse. We do know he left Scotland to come to Australia the following year but, because of health difficulties, he had to return to Paisley about a year or so later and died there in 1935. There is no one left in that family who has any information about their home at Prestongrange except for it being in the stables.  I do hope there is someone who can help me with this.  So sorry for it being such a long "story" but it's a bit complicated.  Thank you. Alice

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: White Family Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 December 23 09:43 GMT (UK) »
I assume you have checked the 1921 census on SP, which was taken on 19 June. I note that Matthew is there with 8 children but no Mary.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 December 23 10:09 GMT (UK) »
The valuation rolls on ScotlandsPeople show two houses at the stables, Prestongrange. Mrs White is shown as tenant and occupier of one in 1919-20 and 1920-21. The other house is retained by the proprietor, but has an 'inhabitant occupier', Mrs Aitken.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 December 23 10:10 GMT (UK) »
I think we first need to establish what sources you have already tried, and to be a little more specific about what you know for certain.

Have you checked the catalogues of the National Records of Scotland, NRAS and Scottish Archive Network?  https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/catalogues-and-indexes

Have you asked East Lothian Archives if they have anything? https://www.scottisharchives.org.uk/archives-map/east-lothian-council-archives-local-history-centre/

In particular East Lothian Archives should have copies of the Valuation Rolls for 1921-1924, which are not available online, and East Lothian Council runs the Prestongrange Mining Museum and may have records of the buildings.

They should also have school admission registers that would contain the addresses of any children attending school in East Lothian, and registers of electors.

I see from the old maps that the stables appear to have been demolished and the site is now a car park. See https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17.5&lat=55.95161&lon=-2.99678&layers=168&right=ESRIWorld

The block is shown on the 1:25,000 Ordnance Survey map, published in 1961. https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=15.4&lat=55.95138&lon=-3.00170&layers=10&right=ESRIWorld Any development after 1948 required planning permission, so there should be a record of an application for permission to demolish the stable block. This should also be held by East Lothian Archives, and may contain information about the buildings to be demolished.

How do you know for certain that they actually lived at Preston Grange throughout the period from 1917 to 1925, rather than just being there briefly when the 8th child was born, but normally domiciled elsewhere?

I see that Matthew Gemmell White and Mary G Jeffrey were married in 1904 in the parish of Dalziel, and there are 9 matching births between then and 1925, not including one born in the parish of Prestonpans or anywhere else in 1921. This may be because the mother's maiden surname has not yet been added to the index, and there are two White births in the parish of Prestonpans in 1921 who could fit.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Paisley Al

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 December 23 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for replying so fast... I'm fairly new to all this and don't know all the sites to search yet.  I'm excited that you have given me quite a bit to check and I appreciate it so much.  I will get back to you as soon as I have done so and will give you more relevant information.  I haven't checked Scotlands People... which I used earlier in my search (I actually started several years ago but had to put it aside).  I was concentrating more on the Prestongrange side of it!  However, Scotlands People- here I come!  😄  plus all the other sites you have mentioned.  I can answer some of your questions now but will wait until I have done some follow-up of your suggestions, etc.  Thank you again. Will be in touch.  Alice