Author Topic: Sharing Docs - mini iPad  (Read 225 times)

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Sharing Docs - mini iPad
« on: Friday 22 December 23 19:13 GMT (UK) »
I think I know the answer but I want to make sure…

I use a mini iPad. When I open Docs, all of my documents are in one place (I don’t have folders, if that’s even possible to do).  Most of the documents pertain to genealogy.

I would like to share a document with family members. If I allow them access to view one particular document, will they have access to all of them?  I have nothing to hide from the family members, but I would prefer that others not have access to everything.

Thank you in advance for any guidance.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sharing Docs - mini iPad
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 December 23 20:42 GMT (UK) »
If you open the document you want share, and then share it, that will be the only one they can see.

You can make folders. Did you want to?

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 December 23 20:52 GMT (UK) »
You can set up iCloud to store your files and then give your Family access to your iCloud.

Or

You can set up Dropbox and place copies of your files there.

Or

If you are all in the same household you can set up a Network storage system for your files.

Or

Insert a USB memory stick, copy the file(s) to it and then they can load the files onto the tablet or computer.

You can use File Manager to create folders and organise your files.

If you have an iPad with Airdrop capabilities you can share files with whoever you want.

Using the File Browser App anyone with an iPad or Macbook can access the files or via Windows File Manager/Explorer.

Image shows my system.

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 December 23 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Part of my folder system

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 December 23 23:18 GMT (UK) »
mckha489, I will eventually set up folders (now that I know it has that option). 

Biggles50, thank you for listing all of the options and for providing the images.  I, unfortunately, am a very visual person so I always appreciate images.

Thank you both very much for replying and sharing your knowledge!  Yesterday, I sent the document to our son, attaching it in an email.  This time, when sending it to another family member, I will open the document and share just that document.

Once we finish some big projects around the house, I look forward to creating folders as there is no need for me to see documents that I want to keep but haven’t lately viewed.  I also will explore capabilities and options in Docs.  Thank you both again.

PS. The document is something for my young grandson, great-nephew and great-niece.  I inserted photos of my mini Christmas village and wrote a story about the village.  :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)