Author Topic: How has your family history been doing in 2023?  (Read 1680 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How has your family history been doing in 2023?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 24 December 23 11:13 GMT (UK) »
As a change from my predominantly Welsh tree, I've recently returned to my father-in-laws tree. What a lovely collection of west country surnames - e.g. Emm and Gurd/Gourd. Also some biblical first names - Simeon, Reubin, Elijah and, best of all, three sisters - Repentance, Charity and Grace Knight :)

I'd not looked at the tree for about 5 years so I've been catching up with all the new records that have emerged in that time.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 24 December 23 11:59 GMT (UK) »
2003 taught me not to make assumptions. After 20 years searching, I was stunned to realise three children had been missed from my maternal line, and so close in being brothers of my grandmother. Only James survived to have his own children. I had never considered looking after the 1911 census. He was never mentioned and we did not meet. My research is usually very good, but all can make mistakes. As a child living in Over, Cheshire, my mother would say we were related to people, but at that time I was not interested. Now I would like to ask questions, but the opportunity has gone. Remembering a photograph of me as a baby, sitting in a wheelbarrow at the Wheatsheaf Hotel, I asked a question on RootsChat. From that I pieced together a whole branch.

A relative visited every Christmas and was a little younger than my mother. From fragments of information, I found her marriage and two daughters, but could not make the link to my family. She was a child of James. I can now see why my tree would not fit together. There were a couple who lived close to my grandparents. I thought they were related to my grandmother. I spent days searching all possibilities, but without something to identify them, I was stuck. Once I stopped thinking and made a cup of tea, a fact popped into my head. They had one child, a son who died in WW2. He was a rear-gunner on bomber planes. Searching the Roll of Honour I eventually found a candidate. From there, I found all of them, including the 1939 Register, offering their address that fitted. He was a nephew of my grandfather. Everything I could remember regarding different relatives has now been found a followed.

I am always surprised what can be achieved from the smallest piece of information. Then when I find the information, I know it is right, as it triggers further facts. 2023 has been productive. It taught me not to make assumptions; and when thinking too deeply; step back and make a cup of tea. The information was in my subconscious, it just needed the opportunity to surface.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 24 December 23 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Also they have extended downloadable deaths up to 1957. I wonder if they will extend this for births after 1922. You can still send off for post 1922 births in the old fashioned way, and have the cert delivered by post, but I wonder if say 1922-1950 births became downloadable, many people still alive born 1923-1950 would be a bit concerned that their birth record will be downloadable online for £2:50.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 24 December 23 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Still got a few brick walls which I don't think will ever get smashed but I never give up you never know  I might get lucky one day  :)

Rosie

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 25 December 23 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Big success this year is not on my tree but for someone I've been helping at the FHS.

They have a "gateway ancestor", leading to gentry in Cheshire. People who were knighted for fighting in battles!
 ;D ;D
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 25 December 23 20:54 GMT (UK) »
The word "gateway" somehow reminds me of the old supermarket chain Gateway, especially the one in Rochford, Essex. That is going back a few decades now.

A year ago I was chuffed to find the burial date of my great grandfather who died in very late 1958, 30th Dec. Newspaper articles from the Southend Standard 1 Jan 1959 said he will be buried 3rd Jan 1959 at 11:30am. The online available burials on SEAX Essex only go up to 1948. As one old boss once said "you have to think outside the box". His father in law, my great, great grandfather aged 83 at the time then wrote out his will in mid January 1959. Obviously his son in law's sudden death got him thinking about his will.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Online Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 25 December 23 21:33 GMT (UK) »
2023 has been a very good year.

Two brickwalls demolished, one thanks to yDNA and another Autosomal DNA match lead to identifying my probable Great Great Grandfather whose name fills the blank on my Great Grandmother’s Birth Certificate.

A known Paternal Second Cousin found and we are talking via telephone.

Contact made with many of my Maternal Second Cousins.

2024 is the year of consolidation, to write the stories, to record the videos, to try to have a record system in place that relations in 30/40/50 years time will find interesting and enjoyable to read and to watch.

My hope for 2024 is that one of my Paternal First Cousins actually get themselves DNA tested.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 26 December 23 10:54 GMT (UK) »
In 2023, I took up an internet challenge to write 52 stories about 52 ancestors, using an allocated theme for each week. 
Of course I wasn't able to fill all 52 themes, but I did write sufficient stories to gift a folder to an interested young relation, and I am very thrilled my research during the lockdown year has enabled me to make some of our heritage known to the next generation.
I shall look at the 2024 challenge themes, and perhaps I will be able to dredge up a little more. :)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Aguella

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 27 December 23 06:01 GMT (UK) »
Probably the highlight of this genealogical year was an unexpected DNA match which revealed that my grandfather had a half-sister we never knew about! Their father certainly had greater fertility than morality!
Researching my Kentish hop growing ancestors, one pint at a time!

https://www.mercerhopgrowers.com/