Author Topic: Lieutenant Adjutant Charles William Hinde 1849-1880 1st Grenadiers  (Read 216 times)

Offline HistoryHunter123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lieutenant Adjutant Charles William Hinde 1849-1880 1st Grenadiers
« on: Friday 22 December 23 23:02 GMT (UK) »
I've just completed researching and writing a biography for a Lieutenant in the 1st Grenadiers who died in the Battle of Maiwand 27th July 1880. According to accounts and newspaper reports of the day Lieutenant CW Hinde was one of the 2 officers and 9 men who made a last stand on the Maiwand battlefield.

I'd like to publish or share this amazing life story and just wanted some suggestions as to where. I also have a photograph of Charles Hinde. I can't find any other photographs of him, and only one drawing from The Graphic newspaper. Does anyone know of any other images that may exist of him?

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lieutenant Adjutant Charles William Hinde 1849-1880 1st Grenadiers
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 December 23 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome,

I'm sorry that your debut posting got so little reaction. Maybe the regulars have been otherwise occupied over Christmas.

Taking your last question first, as he was an officer, I would be surprised if there were not several other photographs of him, probably in company with some of his fellow officers. I suggest contacting the Guards Museum in Wellington Barracks in London initially, but it would also be worth searching the National Army Museum website also.

As for where you could publish, I would suggest one of the many military history societies might be interested. Here are just three examples:
The Society for Army Historical Research
British Modern Military History Society
Military Historical Society
I suspect the two museums already mentioned might also appreciate a copy of your article, although that may not lead to it being published.
Also consider this blog website: MaiwandDay

Amended to reflect Shaun's comment below.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 December 23 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Not the Grenadier Guards?

The 1879 Army List lists him in the Bombay Staff Corps. Contemporary reports record that he was a Lieutenant in the 1st Bombay Grenadiers.

He was transferred from 83rd Foot to the Indian Staff Corps in 1873 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/23947/page/587/data.pdf
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 December 23 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shaun,

I was obviously having a senior moment. I know that the Grenadier Guards were not at Maiwand, or indeed in India or Afghanistan at the time, so it makes my response even more incredible.

Offline HistoryHunter123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 December 23 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy

Thank you for your response and suggestions. Sorry for the mix up with the “Grenadiers”. I’ve been researching this for a while now and have got used to referring to his regiment as 1st Grenadiers, rather than 1st Bombay Native infantry (Grenadiers).

I’ve been in contact with the Irish Rifle Museum (previously 83rd Regiment) but they seemed less than interested, even though l have discovered what l consider to be a treasure trove of photographs of 83rd and other regiment officers.

I’ve been in contact with the National Army Museum, but again they were not overly interest. I could donate the album, which l don’t want to do. I did however point out an inaccuracy on the information they published on a football match that was played in Candahar, and sketch by an officer. The officer sketched the match at the time but didn’t draw it until 13 years later in 1892. He, l believe, dated the drawing incorrectly as 1878, when in fact the 59th Regiment playing “The Garrison” in Candahar, didn’t enter Candahar until January 1879. This came to light when l was researching another ex 83rd Regiment Officer who transferred to the 59th Regiment, only to die of cholera in Kandahar in 1879.

I should explain.

I recently acquired a Victorian photograph album dating from the 1860’s. The album belonged to a Captain George Edward Sheward Cartwright, an officer in the 83rd Regiment of Foot. The album contains over 180 photographs, many of which are family, friends or acquaintances, but significantly there are 87 photographs of officers from 83rd Regiment, including a number of multiple images of certain individuals. Of this group of 83rd Regiment officers, 43 are identified by named. These include most ranks from Ensign to Colonel, with at least two individuals that became commanding officers of the regiment. Twenty-six officers are in uniform, with the rest being in civilian clothes. In addition, the album includes another 23 photographs of officers from other regiments, 22 of which are named.

So far, I’ve scanned all of the photographs, and begun to research initially 5 individuals, including the owner of the album. Of these, two individuals stand out as of particular interest.

Probably of most significance, is that of a previously unpublished photograph of Edric Frederick Gifford 3rd Baron Gifford VC, the photograph is entitled” Lord Gifford” taken in circa 1870, when he was a Lieutenant with the 83rd, a few years before he won his Victoria Cross in West Africa.

Another is of Lieutenant Charles William Hinde, after he had transferred from the 83rd Regiment to the Staff Corps of the Bombay Army, and promoted to Lieutenant 25th October 1871 with the 1st Bombay Native Infantry (Grenadiers). In 1874 he was appointed wing subaltern and adjutant with the Grenadiers.

In 1880, the Grenadiers were sent into Afghanistan to reinforce the garrison at Kandahar. On 5th July 1880 Lieutenant Hinde and the 641men of his regiment left Kandahar as part of a 2,500-man field force sent to confront a large Afghan army passing close to Kandahar. On 27th July the infamous Battle of Maiwand was played out in which 1,000 British and Indian soldiers were killed.Lieutenant Hinde was one of the last men standing on the battlefield that day, as reported by various experts at the time, one of 11 men who famously made a last stand that day.

I’ll certainly look at your suggestions on where to publish his life story.

Gary