Author Topic: Missing GRO death?  (Read 1313 times)

Offline MollyC

• RootsChat Member
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
Re: Missing GRO death?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Jon_ni - See my post at 21.44 yesterday.

So they are getting by, doing the minimum for now, and producing a patchy result, which is obvious.  FreeBMD has used the principal of double keying by different people to minimise the probability of typing errors, and they deal with queries, but of course there are errors in the old index.  The new index is no more accurate than the old, just different.  We are fortunate to have both, but given that FreeBMD is produced by voluntary effort, GRO is showing itself up.

If a new contract is dealt with in the same way, the remainder of the work will be of the same quality.  What is needed beyond these terse reports is some general communication that they are aware, have a plan to deal with it, all these queries will be looked at again.  If they are serious about improving the quality of information, some of the funding should be set aside for that, even if it takes longer to complete.  Only then will their statutory work be assisted by a quality index.

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 25 January 24 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Molly appears I read all of page 1 and missed page 2 entirely, thought I was replying immediately after the comment.

Offline MollyC

• RootsChat Member
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 25 January 24 05:09 GMT (UK) »
Never mind, I often get lost amongst lengthy quotes!