Author Topic: Mcafee anti virus  (Read 2782 times)

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
Mcafee anti virus
« on: Saturday 23 December 23 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Please help !

What does this mean ? I had a popup  message from Mcafee saying I have 34 registry issues.

I have instigated it as I have been trying unsuccessfully to find the renewal date.

Offline AngusMcCoatup

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mcafee anti virus
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 December 23 12:49 GMT (UK) »
If the PC/laptop is otherwise running fine, then it is probably nothing more than McAfee trying to get you to upgrade or buy another product of theirs which allegedly cleans up the Windows registry. There are free products which can fix registry issues if they are of concern.

Assuming you are running Windows 10 or 11, the built-in Defender works well enough for most people's usage. But if you are happy to pay for McAfee when the current subscription runs out, then that is entirely up to yourself.

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 December 23 09:28 GMT (UK) »
I have had the same pop up, with rather more registry issues and have ignored it.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 December 23 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your replies.

I guess I`ll just ignore the popup and look into it further for the renewal date

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 December 23 10:44 GMT (UK) »
At present I am using Norton and experience similar. It is an old computer running 8.1 so I expect a few issues. In scanning, they claim there are 34826 issues slowing down your computer; View Solution = £16.88 for the remainder of your current subscription. Then they tell me there are also, 712 Broken Registries and 16939 Broken Links. The issues they find, are those that require an upgrade and more money for them. I had plenty of annoying pop-ups, mainly to upgrade, but found how to turn them off.

As my subscription ends, I was considering McAfee, so it was good the read you have similar issues. You need to have your log-in details, and check they work, to prevent their automatic renewals at inflated prices. I have switched off their automatic renewal.

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 December 23 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Visit the McAfee website and log into your account to see the renewal date, you may have to get them to send a password reset link and once you have access I suggest turning off Auto Renewal.

I ceased using Norton twenty years ago and would never go back to it.

I just use Windows Defender, but I also have a Recovery USB memory stick and a Drive Image of my C drive on another hard drive in my PC which I can use to reload Windows and All the installed Apps.  All My Documents are stored on their own hard drive.

You can download a free App called CCleaner (yes it is a double C), run it and clear unused files and there is also a Registry Checker.

For those who are unaware the Registry is basically the index of the starting commands used during the boot-up process.

Offline AngusMcCoatup

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 December 23 19:55 GMT (UK) »
You can download a free App called CCleaner (yes it is a double C), run it and clear unused files and there is also a Registry Checker.

For those who are unaware the Registry is basically the index of the starting commands used during the boot-up process.

CCleaner is a product I use myself, but I would not recommend it to novice users as there is the possibility of doing more damage than fixing the intended problem. Plus there is no indication the OP has any severe issues using their equipment so I would tend towards leaving it alone.

Newer editions of CCleaner offer the same kind of additional cost add-ons that are not necessary (just like what the user is experiencing with McAfee) including bundled software during installation (which may be opted out of), software updater, health check, driver updater, etc, and there have been questions over background data gathering which appear to be re-enabled after being switched off.

Windows Registry has many uses, including as you say a database of info for Windows to refer to when starting up, as well as recording window locations/sizes of all your favourite apps/programs, fonts installed, etc, etc.

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 December 23 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your replies, some of which go above my head!!

I bought a card last time with a voucher that I`d been given for Christmas 2022; this meant putting in a number similar to a credit card number so I imagine there is no auto renewal. The McAfee website says if this is the case you receive a message 30 days before the expiry date, so I`m maybe not at that point just yet.

Looking further into their website, it seems that my account is connected to an old email address, so I`m not going to muddy the waters further!

I think I`ll go buy another card and and be ready for when it does expire !

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 December 23 13:53 GMT (UK) »
The Registry is a database containing many thousands of settings used by Windows and applications. Windows 95 was the first time consumers saw its use.

There are MANY products which claim that tidying up old or "broken" registry entries is a Good Thing, and will speed up your computer.

They are lying.

They don't know which registry entries are needed by which programs, so may do more harm than good.

Removing those entries which are ACTUALLY unused will speed up your computer in the same way as throwing away the cardboard box in the far corner of your attic will speed up your journey from your front door to your kitchen.

So don't waste time on these things, and certainly don't waste your money.

Incidentally, the various files which comprise the Registry are known as "Hives", just to annoy someone in the development team who had a fear of bees. :o
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.