Author Topic: Looking for Frances Turner's parents.  (Read 202 times)

Offline Robert Haigh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Frances Turner's parents.
« on: Saturday 23 December 23 13:07 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for the parents of my 2Xgreat-grandmother, Frances Turner. She married James Wilson on 9 Dec 1832, in York (St Mary Bishophill Jnr). James was born in Hovingham, North Yorkshire, and he lived and worked there all his short life (1807-1845). Frances was born in York, in about 1805, according to the 1851 Census, and although she lived in Hovingham after she got married, I assume her parents lived in York.

James worked as a butler at Hovingham Lodge, and later (probably after the death of the old lady of the Lodge) worked as an agricultural labourer and gardener. It seems probable to me that Frances worked in service at Hovingham Lodge when James was there.

James and Frances had four children that I know of, all born and baptised in Hovingham: Frances (b.1835); Margaret (b.1837); Ann (b.1839) and James - my great-grandfather (b.1843).

James Wilson Snr. died in 1845, and the 1851 Census shows his widow now living as an "Almswoman" with her four children in Hovingham. I think Frances Snr. died in 1859. The death of a woman of that name was registered in Malton (Oct-Nov-Dec 1859).

Returning to the question of who were the parents of Frances Turner, I have found a few possible candidates, but no evidence that any of them are right. I wonder if anyone here can find any real evidence as to who her parents were?

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Frances Turner's parents.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 December 23 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Just because everyone will want to know, the witnesses were William TURNER and William WOOD.

Debra  :D

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 December 23 14:10 GMT (UK) »
The only Frances Turner I can see born York was born 1801 to Robert Turner and his wife Agnes nee Allen. They also had a son William born 1793.

Image of baptism entry on FindMyPast. It gives details re the grandparents as well.
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 December 23 15:39 GMT (UK) »
I think Frances Snr. died in 1859. The death of a woman of that name was registered in Malton (Oct-Nov-Dec 1859).

GRO index has that entry as age 0 so not your Frances. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 December 23 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Just to check she was a spinster in 1832? 

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 December 23 02:43 GMT (UK) »
Bachelor and spinster, both of the parish and both signed confidently.

William WOOD did not witness any other marriages around that time so he probably wasn't the clerk/curate.  However he had a distinctive signature and also witnessed a marriage in 1827 of Mary TURNER, spinster, to William JACKSON, a blacksmith and bachelor.  The other witness was Margaret TURNER.  William WOOD was the only one who could sign.

Debra  :D