Author Topic: Budhill Avenue, Shettleston  (Read 622 times)

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Budhill Avenue, Shettleston
« on: Saturday 23 December 23 21:29 GMT (UK) »
I have started reading this fascinating book called " As I Lay Me Down To Sleep" by Eileen Munro with Carol Mackay.
She starts life in 74 Budhill Road, Shettleston, and she writes about it being a somewhat run down area.
The name of the street rang a bell, so I checked my family tree, to discover that my grandparents lived at 43 Budhill Avenue from 1906 until 1909.
I have looked on Google Maps to see if I could see number 43, but the doors seem to be just even numbers. I can see door number 36, then 42 followed by 50.
Would number 43 be a flat through door number 42?
Researching the names Mckenzie / Mackenzie from Ross and Cromarty especially Scoraig and Rherivach.

The names Fraser, MacGillivary and Grant from Daviot & Dunlichity.

The name of Fraser from Lanarkshire.

The name of Bell from Northumberland.

The name Chilla / Chylla / Chyla from Poland.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Budhill Avenue, Shettleston
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 December 23 21:59 GMT (UK) »

Extremely unlikely. Glasgow tended to use a system to identify the individual units within a tenement along the lines of 0/1 (ground floor Flat 1) 1/1 1st Floor flat 1, etc. As time went on other systems were used e.g Flat A B C etc.
No. 43 Budhill Avenue was more likely on the opposite side of the street from 42

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 December 23 22:10 GMT (UK) »

Extremely unlikely. Glasgow tended to use a system to identify the individual units within a tenement along the lines of 0/1 (ground floor Flat 1) 1/1 1st Floor flat 1, etc. As time went on other systems were used e.g Flat A B C etc.
No. 43 Budhill Avenue was more likely on the opposite side of the street from 42

Such a shame, as on Google Maps, the opposite side of the road is a park.
Perhaps the buildings, with the odd numbers, were demolished after the war.
I wonder if there are any photographs anywhere of them.
Researching the names Mckenzie / Mackenzie from Ross and Cromarty especially Scoraig and Rherivach.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 December 23 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Extremely unlikely. It is customary for streets to be numbered with even numbers on one side and odd numbers on the other.

Having looked at several maps, I see that Budhill Avenue wasn't on the second edition of the 25-inch-to-the-mile Ordnance Survey maps, surveyed in 1897, so it must post-date that.

Budhill Avenue first appears in the Valuation Rolls in 1905, when there were eleven houses, three works and an office at No 43. See screenshot.

Looking at a more recent map, the odd numbers in Budhall Avenue are on the south side of the street, and Nos 11 to 51 appear to be missing. This is corroborated by the Post Code Directory, which lists odd numbers 1 to 9, 53 to 93h, and 101a to 229.

So I think that 43 Budhill Avenue must have been on the south side of Budhill Avenue, where there is a park shown on the current maps. On the 1897 map, all of the area north of the railway and south of where Budhill Avenue now runs is shown as the Acme Machine Works. See https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=18.2&lat=55.85422&lon=-4.16020&layers=168&right=ESRIWorld and https://www.railscot.co.uk/locations/A/Acme_Tube_Works/

Budhill Street is south of the railway line and not connected directly to Budhill Avenue. I don't think it exists any longer. It is listed in the 1905 Valuation Roll but not in 1915, so its name may have been changed.

I have yet to find Budhill Road. No such street is listed in the Valuation Rolls available online, or in the Post Code Directory.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 December 23 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Extremely unlikely. It is customary for streets to be numbered with even numbers on one side and odd numbers on the other.

Having looked at several maps, I see that Budhill Avenue wasn't on the second edition of the 25-inch-to-the-mile Ordnance Survey maps, surveyed in 1897, so it must post-date that.

Budhill Avenue first appears in the Valuation Rolls in 1905, when there were eleven houses, three works and an office at No 43. See screenshot.

Looking at a more recent map, the odd numbers in Budhall Avenue are on the south side of the street, and Nos 11 to 51 appear to be missing. This is corroborated by the Post Code Directory, which lists odd numbers 1 to 9, 53 to 93h, and 101a to 229.

So I think that 43 Budhill Avenue must have been on the south side of Budhill Avenue, where there is a park shown on the current maps. On the 1897 map, all of the area north of the railway and south of where Budhill Avenue now runs is shown as the Acme Machine Works. See https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=18.2&lat=55.85422&lon=-4.16020&layers=168&right=ESRIWorld and https://www.railscot.co.uk/locations/A/Acme_Tube_Works/

Budhill Street is south of the railway line and not connected directly to Budhill Avenue. I don't think it exists any longer. It is listed in the 1905 Valuation Roll but not in 1915, so its name may have been changed.

I have yet to find Budhill Road. No such street is listed in the Valuation Rolls available online, or in the Post Code Directory.

Sorry, Budhill Road, was a typo - I should have written Budhill Avenue both times.

My grandmother gave birth on 06 June 1906 in 43 Budhill Avenue, the baby then died on 13 January 1907, again in 43 Budhill Avenue.

It would have been good to see what sort of building the family were living in - especially as the book I am reading names the same avenue.

Online Poppy62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 December 23 07:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I work not far from Budhill Avenue, I walk around it every day for my afternoon walk at lunch time . I will have a look and take some photos when I'm back at work in the new year.
If 43 is no longer there , it is possible that the row of more modern shops that is now there may have been the site for tenement flats.
Budhill Avenue surrounds the square/ park, they are tenement flats, one row of tenement flats has shops on the bottom.
 :)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 December 23 09:05 GMT (UK) »
The fact that there were 11 'houses' at No 43 certainly supports the idea that it was a tenement.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 December 23 22:18 GMT (UK) »
From another site:

I've been trying to get hold of some photos of Budhill Avenue (Shettleston/Springboig) pre 1964, before odd numbered and (high) even numbered tenements were demolished.

https://urbanglasgow.co.uk/shettleston-budhill-t4968.html

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline zoot999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 December 23 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Just messaged my sister she stayed there, she said the close had a number and the flats were listed as flat 1/1, flat 1/2, flat 2/1, flat 2/2 etc.

Hope this helps.