Author Topic: Marriage Edward Johnston, Margaret Muir/Moore  (Read 274 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Marriage Edward Johnston, Margaret Muir/Moore
« on: Saturday 23 December 23 21:49 GMT (UK) »
I am researching a Thomas J. Johnston, reportedly born 1818 in Killinchy, Co. Down , who is reportedly a son to Edward Johnston and Margaret Muir. I don't think this is true.
Anyway, Edward Johnston and Margaret Muir were reportedly married July 26, 1823 in Borgue. Can anyone tell me where this is and/or find the marriage record? They had a son William abt 1829, John abt 1831, daughter Marthew abt 1833 and James abt 1834. They moved to Scotland before 1851 where they can be found under Jonston.
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01svf/
Thanks for any help
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Edward Johnston, Margaret Muir/Moore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 December 23 01:47 GMT (UK) »
I am researching a Thomas J. Johnston, reportedly born 1818 in Killinchy, Co. Down , who is reportedly a son to Edward Johnston and Margaret Muir. I don't think this is true.
Anyway, Edward Johnston and Margaret Muir were reportedly married July 26, 1823 in Borgue. Can anyone tell me where this is and/or find the marriage record? They had a son William abt 1829, John abt 1831, daughter Marthew abt 1833 and James abt 1834. They moved to Scotland before 1851 where they can be found under Jonston.
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01svf/
Thanks for any help
Peggy

Isn't Borgue in Scotland? Kirkcudbright.
Why is this posted under Co. Derry?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 December 23 01:55 GMT (UK) »
I realized after posting that it should not be in Co. Derry. Don't know how to move it. Maybe I will repost in Co. Down. Sorry about Borgue, I assumed it was in Ireland as the children were born in Ireland.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 December 23 02:14 GMT (UK) »
You've given us several 'reported' facts but nothing to tell us where this information comes from.  Can you expand please.

According to Familysearch there was a marriage 16 Jul 1814 at Killinchy, County Down between Edward Johnston and Margaret Moore

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGN3-XQM

Familysearch also has two baptisms at Killinchy for Thomas Johnston s/o Edward, one on 16 Feb 1818 and one on 24 May 1818.  Without seeing the original register I don't know whey its recorded twice, but the first could perhaps be a private baptism if he wasn't expected to survive, and the second being when he was accepted into the church.

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01svg/

According to the Familysearch catalog, it was the Killinchy Presbyterian Church

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01svh/

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 December 23 03:07 GMT (UK) »
Their grave marker gives year of death
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/177832333/margaret-johnston

Their Scottish death certificates will give names of parents.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 December 23 03:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to you, Jomot, this family is beginning to make some sense. I wasn't finding verification of anything before and what I was finding on different trees made no sense. I was seeing marriage dates of 1814 in Killinchy or 1816 or 1823 in Borgue. And there was no way I was believing that Thomas J. Johnston was belonging to this couple but now I see it is possible. When I looked at the info on familysearch, and got the names of children born before 1829, and went to Scotland's People and found the deaths of Jane McMaster Scott in 1872, and John Johnston born abt 1831, died 1899, and the parents names were given as Edward Johnston and Margaret Muir/Moore, I was elated. Thanks so much.
And thank you Neale1961. I have verification from Scotland's People of the parents of Edward Johnston who died 1867 and his wife Margaret Muir who died 1887. Edward's parents were Edward Johnston and Jane Miller/Millar. The only couple that I found on trees previously with that couple, as parents of Edward Jr., had emigrated to USA in 1801 so no way they had son Edward abt 1795 and left him behind when they went to the USA. Must be two couples with the same names.
Thomas J. Johnston died Dec 28, 1901 at his home 6 miles west of Clifton, Danforth Township, Iroquois Co., Illinois as per his obit and according to the Iroquois Co. Genealogical Society, he was born Feb 16, 1818, Killinchy, Co. Down, father Edward. So now I believe.
I did write to the Killinchy Presbyterian Church a couple days ago regarding the marriage and Thomas' baptism, but they haven't replied as yet.
Thank you, thank you, thank you,  immensely for your help in sorting this out.
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 December 23 06:29 GMT (UK) »
Regarding the second baptism of Thomas Johnston, I have found one that says May 24, 1819 not 1818 so maybe the first Thomas died (the one bapt Feb 16, 1818).

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 December 23 07:33 GMT (UK) »

I realized after posting that it should not be in Co. Derry. Don't know how to move it. Maybe I will repost in Co. Down.

For the future, if you click on 'Report to moderator' (in blue) and ask for the thread to be moved to the relevant sub-board.

Here's your thread also now on the DOWN sub-board.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=878964.0

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 December 23 07:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, KG.