Author Topic: DIARY: Christmas Day to New Year’s Eve.  (Read 2646 times)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DIARY: Christmas Day to New Year’s Eve.
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 27 December 23 13:34 GMT (UK) »
We are chocoholics,  I don't buy it normally but my husband had 2 large bars of chocolate I don't like, doesn’t stop me though, I also won pass the parcel with a large bar of triangle chocolate which I like  but I have decided to pass it on, 

4 members of my family are going down south surfing, are they idiots this weather, it seems not in their opinion but it is in mine.

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 27 December 23 16:57 GMT (UK) »

Having broken my three month long chocolate fast, I have hidden the unopened boxes until I can get someone to take them off my hands. The boxes of biscuits can go to the food bank.

I will have no such problem when it comes to enjoying the bottle of single malt. ;D

I like your style!  ;) ;D
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 27 December 23 17:32 GMT (UK) »
A belated ‘Happy Christmas’ to everyone… only jut drawn breath!

As OH promised we left for our daughters in Ealing at 7.30 am on Christmas morning and we arrived at 9am just in time for breakfast!
Christmas Day was lots of food, games and general enjoyment. Sadly didn’t get to speak to our son in Oz as by the time all present opening was done it was too late for them sadly.
Boxing Day was beautiful day, so after lunch out for a walk in the park, bit muddy but nice to get some fresh air.
Eldest grandson has a small illuminated drone which was fun to fly… better in tge park than the house although by the end of the day it was doing back flips and manipulated along the hall and up the stairs!
The most enjoying moment was watching and listening to three generations play their guitars together age range from 10 to 70+!
Back home now to the quiet of our house… too many boxes of chocs and mince pies, Christmas cake still to eat… can feel the scales sighing before I’ve even got on them!
Hope everyone has enjoyed the festive season despite any ailments and other sad incidents.
Happy New Year to everyone and a better time ahead.

Caroline

Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 28 December 23 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Where have the days gone?  I've had to surf to find what time and date it is.  They've flown passed so quickly..   Once I set my mind to do something such as researching family history, or a jigsaw puzzle I am oblivious to the outside world, which is the cause of my finding a cold cup of coffee and cold toast near my elbow  ;).

I've now had to recharge the LED magnifier that I'm using to piece the jigsaw together.  I wish I'd known about the gadget prior to this Christmas, as I could have used it since my eye operations to sort my paperwork.

I've not eaten many chocolates because Santa also left me one of my favourite goodies, which are Pontefract cakes.  I'm surprised at the makers name which I thought was American - and surprise, surprise they've not messed about with the recipe unlike the Bournville Quakers chocolate recipe..

Happy New Year everyone - here's hoping all your wishes come true.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 28 December 23 10:44 GMT (UK) »
I love Pontefract Cakes, too!  For those who don't know, Pontefract is actually a town in Yorkshire, and its name means "broken bridge" in Latin.  The old name was locally known as "Pomfret", which is how the "cakes" are called by us Pomfret Cake lovers.  Warning - if you don't like liquorice you won't like these!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontefract_cake
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline ptdrifter

• RootsChat Senior
  • A time for peace, I swear it's not too late
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 28 December 23 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Mmm Pontefract cakes. Sorry to the purists, but two Pontefract cakes sandwiching a giant white choc button , my favourite.
Stevens, Pye  East London

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 28 December 23 11:48 GMT (UK) »
 :o :o  Not sure if I would like that!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 28 December 23 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Squelch! Seem to be developing webbed feet. Very quiet Christmas, ventured out today for essential supplies - was determined not to be under a small mountain of leftovers at the end of Christmas, and managed it very well. Ate too much, especially of all the nibblies.
Has it really rained every day? - and all day?
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 28 December 23 17:11 GMT (UK) »
I love Pontefract Cakes, too!  For those who don't know, Pontefract is actually a town in Yorkshire, and its name means "broken bridge" in Latin.  The old name was locally known as "Pomfret", which is how the "cakes" are called by us Pomfret Cake lovers.  Warning - if you don't like liquorice you won't like these!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontefract_cake

Some of the locals now affectionately call it 'Pontecarlo' to go with nearby Castleford, also known as 'Cas Vegas".  :D
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*